Manchurian Pheasant Info

Hello, this is my first post, just joined the site today.

I have decided to raise some pheasants this spring and release them on some land I have permission to hunt on. I have facilities to raise them to about 8 weeks old and then release them. I'm planning on releasing them around the 1st of July.

Does anyone know, or heard about the Manchurian cross pheasants? The reason I was interested in these is they are said to adapt well to the wild, and I also would like to be able to tell what roosters I released when we harvest them in the fall. The ring on their neck is different and there is a white spot near their ear hole.

I'm just looking for some advise and maybe some pointers.

Thanks

Where are you going to release these birds--SD--MN--Ohio--where?

Hello, this is my first post, just joined the site today.

I have decided to raise some pheasants this spring and release them on some land I have permission to hunt on. I have facilities to raise them to about 8 weeks old and then release them. I'm planning on releasing them around the 1st of July.

Does anyone know, or heard about the Manchurian cross pheasants? The reason I was interested in these is they are said to adapt well to the wild, and I also would like to be able to tell what roosters I released when we harvest them in the fall. The ring on their neck is different and there is a white spot near their ear hole.

I'm just looking for some advise and maybe some pointers.

Look at the link below it has background information on the Manchurian cross pheasant:
http://www.pheasant.com/about-us/success-stories/update-on-the-pure-manchurian-project

After over 20 years of crossing with the regular ringneck pheasant you may not always see the consistent white spot near the ear on the roosters. I will say the you will get an alert and predator wary ringneck pheasant.

Another alert and predator wary wild pheasant is the Afghan Whitewing pheasant also called the White Winged pheasant or Bianchi pheasant. Macfarlane pheasant farm should also have this wilder strain.

To get a good look at wild White Winged pheasants that crossed with ringneck pheasants in New Mexico to produce a wild and alert pheasant in that area, Google: "Bosque Del Apache Pheasants" Look at link below:

http://www.pbase.com/silverbowff/image/38925285

Keep us posted on your outcome.

Last edited:
Where are you going to release these birds--SD--MN--Ohio--where?

Northwest of Grand Island Nebraska. I have 320 acres next to my acreage that only I am allowed to hunt. There is about 50 acres of pasture that is overgrown with cedar trees and not grazed, old farmstead, and two different dugouts with good cover. We shoot about 5 or 6 wild roosters on the property each year, and there are also quail. I would like to release 100 this year, see how it works and maybe release 200-300 next year.

Back