Managed a limit for my buddy . . .

nstric

. . . via a quick hunt this morning.

He'd been struggling with his shot recently, which is completely abnormal for him (he's an exceptional wing shooter).

Gunner locks up not 3 minutes from the truck -- a good sign! My buddy flushes the "ROOSTER!" and . . . BANG! . . . BANG! . . . ugh. Hanging his head, we press on, shortly turning south with the wind, me walking the edge.

Gunner is ranging far and working back into us (and the wind). We're down a dog as "Deacon" isn't feeling well. A big field for just two guys and one dog, no doubt.

Another point, this time a hen right up off of my boot. They're holding tight today, so it seems.

Gun at my side, Gunner in front of my buddy, I flush a wild rooster off the edge about 20 yards ahead of me. By the time I shoulder, aim, and shoot I find my pattern just behind the Rootie, only breaking his tail feather. "Was today not the day to try and use up my steel shot?", I thought.

He sailed a LONG way, riding the wind, likely thanking his lucky stars. My first miss in as long as I can recall. Do I too now have the yips?

We both rebounded shortly thereafter, however, as we approached the south edge of the field and pushed a draw back north into the wind which was now gusting to 25mph. Gunner made quick work of finding the birds, and we dropped them with relative ease as they rose from the cover. Straight away shots, crossing shots, into the wind and with the wind. A mixed bag, with 9 out of 10 being hens, and those roosters not savvy enough to make haste met their fate.

9 roosters and 37 hens seen. I call that a very good day.

Now off to spend time with my brother and family, in town from St. Louis. I hope to get him out after the birds on Friday.

Merry Christmas all!

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A%3A99%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3B999%3B%3B2338nu0mrj

Back