Making a move

huskyhunter

Morning guys,
First time poster here. I am in the process of looking to make a move out west from central MN and have kinda narrowed in on the Sheridan/Buffalo area. I am a mechanical engineer and have found job openings out there, so I dont think that is gonna be my problem. I am looking for a little advice as to how the bird hunting is out there, and also if anyone has any experience in central MN and could compare the two as far as bird numbers and ability to get permission to hunt decent pheasant habitat. I know bout the Bighorns for big game, but wondering how is public land in general for upland hunting?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Hey pardner, you will be driving through (and past) bird country on your way from MN to Buffalo/Sheridan. Instead of hunting birds, you will need to use a rifle for big-game hunting.................

Yeah I know I will be driving through some great pheasant country, and every year I take a trip or two down to southern ND to chase birds, but I am just kinda wondering what the hunting is around the Sheridan/Buffalo area for the weekends when I dont take trips to either ND, SD or back to MN. I def plan to use the rifle or stick and string to chase some critters around WY.

Yeah I know I will be driving through some great pheasant country, and every year I take a trip or two down to southern ND to chase birds, but I am just kinda wondering what the hunting is around the Sheridan/Buffalo area for the weekends when I dont take trips to either ND, SD or back to MN. I def plan to use the rifle or stick and string to chase some critters around WY.

Your moving into some of the best Bird hunting areas Wyoming has to offer. As far a land to hunt goes, you'll have to knock on some doors and ask permission. I think there is some public land also. Check with Wyoming game and fish. Knock on some doors I think you will find most landowner up there to be pretty nice people.

You will find Pheasants , Chukers, Huns, Sharptails, sage grouse and more In the various habitats in and around th bighorn basin and the mountains. Best of luck to you on your move, and let us no how it goes.:)

Btw I was born in Buffalo.

Their are others on this sight like MNT and Dekota Zeb that have knowelge of these areas. I beilve low-glide lives in Buffalo and is a member of UPH . Welcome to the sight.

Last edited:
Welcome Huskyhunter, Tell you what! for an outdoorsman/hunter you are going into a great area. We all know the big game opportunities. I started out my
'outwest hunting adventures" in Northeast WY. Along and near the Belle Fouche River, we had deer, turkey, Sarptail and even pheasant hunting.

When your in Buffalo take Highway 16 NE, follows Clear Creek. Get to know some ranch owners up there and you will have some hunting.:)

Thanks guys for all the info. The move wont be happening for a little bit yet, due to having to sell my house and other things, but I am SUPER excited to get out west.

Thanks guys for all the info. The move wont be happening for a little bit yet, due to having to sell my house and other things, but I am SUPER excited to get out west.

If you fly fish your moving to heaven. mnmt's advise about clear creek is spot on. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.:thumbsup:

If you fly fish your moving to heaven. mnmt's advise about clear creek is spot on. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.:thumbsup:

I have never fly fished before, but I had a college teammate from Washington who did and it sounded like a ton of fun. So I am excited to try my hand at it. I will def keep everyone updated on how it goes.

Back