Lucky Day

pheasantaddict

It was a lucky day today. I broke my shooting slump, Dad got his first birds of the season, and only seen roosters. Hit a piece of public ground today, it was more like a forest of trees and brush. I saw tracks in the snow where somebody had walked the north side of the public area, so we drove to the south side and I saw a bunch of pheasant tracks but no human tracks. I thought it might be worthwhile to walk into the forest of trees and brush. I have hunted this place many times over the years and on certain weather conditions it can hold birds. The only problem is getting slapped in the face by branches, crawling to get through, and usually not being able to shoot or see the birds when they do fly. As I made it in about 50 yds, I heard three different roosters cackle as they were flying. I knew some birds were in there and kept me and the dogs plowing along. My dad was waiting at the other end in the pickup or I thought. When I got towards the end I finally saw one rooster flush but there was too much brush to even fire, I hopped across a line of brush when another rooster came up and was able to knock him down behind a tree. That's when I heard my dad say he was on the outside. Just then another rooster flushed towards my dad and I heard a shot and he said he got him as I was unable to see through all the brush. The dogs retrieved both and I made my way out to my dad. He said , he got out of the pickup and walked over after he saw 15 roosters come out of there. As we were standing there, one of the dogs starts to dive into some brush and grass where he had been standing for about ten minutes. I told him to get ready and another rooster came up and he got him too. It was a short but sweet hunt.

Dad & Dogs
picture.php

Last edited:
Congrats on the good hunt PA. I haven't had the same luck down here in South Central. Still seeing a bunch of tracks, but can't seem to get close enough. Oh well, it's always better than being at work. :D

great hunt..what do pheasant tracks look like?? they look like a turkeys?? i saw some today that looked like a turkeys...

Back