Lost Grove WMA

Lost Grove

I hunt this a little because it's close to where I live. It's big, 1600+ acres, lots of tall grass with some crop fields (corn/soybeans) scattered around and fairly hilly. They also plant sunflowers in a couple of places for doves. I hunt it without a dog and get a few birds, with a dog or two it would be better. Being the only large upland hunting area, (non-toxic shells not required), near Davenport it get's hit hard early in the season.
They are currently filling the lake, (will take a couple of years), but will still leave several hundreds of acres of hunting land. It's surrounded by farm land and has a dedicated dog training area on the west side. Most of the corn and beans around and in it are out now, but not all.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/uploads/wildlife/wmamaps/lost_grove_lake.pdf

I preseason my dog in this area and always put birds in the air. After the opening weekend...good luck. You have 3 vehicles at every gate hole, pretty much scatters the birds.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one... haha

Been trying to get my lab's first pheasant... Jumped quite a few roosters walking in to duck hunt, but also heard quite a few shots on Oct 26th. Haven't ran into an orange vest yet though... Been out I'd say half a dozen times, including yesterday. Saw two hen's yesterday.

Also do a fair amount of crow hunting out there, recently... Had 80-100 birds come in yesterday evening while I was picking up decoys to change sets. Ugly things they are, but fun to hunt.

Another place

Another fairly good place not too far from Dav/Bett is Goose Lake, especially after it freezes Real Hard and you can walk anywhere in the swamp on the east side. I haven't been there in a few years but it used to be pretty good and it doesn't get as much pressure (on pheasants) as Lost Grove.

:)

Another fairly good place not too far from Dav/Bett is Goose Lake, especially after it freezes Real Hard and you can walk anywhere in the swamp on the east side. I haven't been there in a few years but it used to be pretty good and it doesn't get as much pressure (on pheasants) as Lost Grove.

Wapsijim, thank you for the tip... I have been meaning to get up there for a duck hunt as well... Looks like a nice place that isn't too far from the QCA.
Hope to make the adventure one of these weekends.

Lost Grove

Slick8, FYI,
I was out at Lost Grove before sun-up Sunday morning to try to shoot a photo of the comet Ison (no luck, have to wait tip December now). Anyway, I heard a few (2 0r 3) pheasants crowing in the pre-dawn so there are still some there somewhere....(SE corner) There were also 30 or so geese sitting on the lake ice, boy it froze up fast.

Thanks... I hear them everytime I go duck hunting in the mornings and evenings, just haven't found em yet :)!

Geese on the "new" lake? East side lake, w/e you'd like to call it.

Back