Loose action on an O/U.

Lefty76

I inherited an older 12 gauge O/U that has some issues. The main issue is a loose action. At first, I thought the stock was loose. I had the gun at the club the other day, and put a box of shells through it. One of the shells failed to fire. I noticed the primer was slightly dented, but did not fire. Upon further inspection, I noticed the action had just a bit of play in it. I'm sure this is what caused the failure to fire. Has anyone experienced this before? Any recommendations on a gunsmith? Preferably between Omaha and Sioux Falls, but I'll send it off if I have to. I also need to get the stock refinished, but I figured I better get the action issue resolved first.

The gun is an Antonio Zoli that was my Uncle's. I can't begin to count the birds I watched him shoot with it before I was old enough to carry a gun myself. I believe this particular gun was one they built for Sears. They weren't high dollar guns, but this one has a lot of sentimental value and I would like to have it restored so the boys and I can carry it in the field.

I once took a brass punch and drove out the hinge pin, turned it 180 degrees and drove it back in. I could not see or feel any difference by looking at the pin, but it must have been worn a few thousandths because it tightened it up nicely. I would take it to a gunsmith if it meant anything to me. I owned a Sears/Zoli once. It was a pretty good gun. Surprisingly trim if I remember correctly. I forget what they call that action type. Has the little locking pin that comes out the side of the breech when opening. That could have some wear on it also.

I had an old Francotte over under that had a light strike on the primer issue. Sometimes those older guns need a super duty cleaning inside. If you are sending it off, you might have them take it apart and do a fresh clean and re lube. Certainly couldn’t hurt.

Back