Looking to be another fun season

pgidley

Three years ago my wife and I went to North Dakota for our honeymoon. Then we went back the year after. The plan this year? We're going again. I don't think we'll ever miss being in that state in late October. By that time, the woodcock have just left our Northern Ontario home, the grouse are much deserving a rest from our harassment, and the dog gets a nice rest when we return while I spend a bit of time putting away our deer meat for the year.

This January I'll be turning the big three zero, so we've been picking our brains for something to do. Looks like a pilgrimage to Kansas might be in order. We've never hunted wild quail, and a mix of quail and pheasants when we're all but snowed in for the year up here will be a lifesaver. I'd love to hear anything that might be better, especially if it gets us away from the frigid cold for a few days.

So far we're thinking of hunting the approximate South East corner of the state. We don't mind spending time knocking on doors, and find that its usually worth taking some time out of hunting to find some nice private land. Our dog Wilma is a four year old Drahthaar who is really at her best in open country.

Thanks for all the help and advice, this forum gets me through the long days of summer, dreaming about the fall.

PBG

pgidley if youre looking for a mixed bag day in ks. you dont want to go SE. Zero pheasants down there. You want to go west of I135 or to the NE corner. I keep hearing good reports from out west. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, we will look into those areas. We were think SE because the Flint Hills look beautiful. But a mixed bag would be great, anything that gets the dog into some birds and gets us into some beauty landscapes. We could drive further to a different state even. Just looking into ideas at this point.

The flint hills stretch up into to the NE part of the state and the smokey hills in the NW part of the state are just as beautifull,,,,to my eye , more so.

Excellent, I will start looking into that area. Any dog friendly accommodations you'd recommend in that area? Tht always seems to be the hardest part.

Sorry I'm a day tripper mostly. Never hunted further east than Abilene. NE,, Abiline, Marion, Hillsboro, Junction City/Manhattan maybe.
You shouldn't have a problem out west. Ellsworth, Lincoln, Russel, Hays, Stockton, Lacrosse, Wakeeny, Scott City should all have hotels....not sure if they are all clean,,, I would think that most are dog friendly.

Alright, that's a great start, I'll do some research and phone calls and see what we can figure out. Looking at the bobwhite habitat map on the DNR site, I didn't think that area would be worthwhile, but glad I asked. We were looking at staying in Eureka, but further west is cool. Might do an overnight trip to Denver.

Back