Looking for weekend daylong hunts near Twin Cities

Hey everyone
I am new to pheasant hunting and am looking for people to hunt with me.

About me:
37 yr old male in Twin Cities. This is my 3rd year of pheasant hunting and I can't get enough of it. Most of my experience so far has been on game farms, with only a couple "real" hunts.
I am not an ace, but I am not a complete rookie either. I hit most birds I shoot at if they are in a reasonable range. I have hit some really nice shots - and I have missed some easy shots. I am still very much learning the finer points. I shoot a browning 12 gauge pump.
I only have 1 friend who hunts and he is usually tied up on the weekends w family stuff, so I am hoping to meet people on here that I can hunt with.

My dog:
Louie is a 2 1/2 yr old pure yellow lab.
He is pretty good in the field and getting better all the time.
He has started pointing and I am getting pretty good at reading him when he is on scent or on a bird. The last 2 times out he has developed a distinct point.
He is not as polished as a formally trained bird dog, but he is very smart. He stays about 15' in front of me and comes back when called if he gets too far out.
Like me, his skills are still developing, but he is turning into a good bird dog.
He gets along very well with other dogs and has a soft mouth with the birds.

What I am looking for:
This year I am just looking for anyone who is doing single day hunts within about 2 hrs of the Twin Cities. I cant take time off work and I don't have the coin for a South Dakota Trip.
I have gone a couple times to some WMAs around Red Wing. Sometimes I see birds, sometimes I don't.
If you are heading out on a Sat or Sunday morning and plan to return home that night, and would like an extra guy and an extra dog in your group, please let me know.

Thank you
Doug

Doug:

Here's a low-cost hunt for a day, but during the week: Wings of Watertown. You can scratch hunt for $20 and pay $12 per bird. Only 25 miles from Victoria, 30 from Excelsior.

Weekend, its a different program...

Jon

Back