Looking for training birds

Dami0101

Headed to the in-laws farm near Rushford/Winona this weekend and figured I'd plant a bird or two (chukar preferably) for our puppy to find while down there. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could get some birds somewhere around Rochester, Rushford, or near the metro. I know about Oakwood up near Princeton but that's the opposite direction and as far as I know they have a minimum order size, so it's not really an option.

Their website says "Oakwood can handle your bird needs from 10 to 10,000," so I assumed they had a minimum order of 10.

Try calling the Horse and Hunt - Prior Lake. They supply birds for their hunts and perhaps would part with a few.

Also, Traxler's may have birds, but they are a bit out of your way - Le Center.

Probably should have mentioned I was looking for chukar or quail as the trainer says pheasants are still too big for my girl. I did call oak wood but they said no chukars until June or July as the ones they have are all under contract.

Last edited:
Did you call Traxlers? I have been on hunts where they only placed chuckers.

It's not on the way to Winona, however.

A preserve in So. Wis. ? Might be worth a try...

I called hourse and hunt, they said they only had pheasants right now, Traxler's said they couldn't sell birds to be taken off the property. My trainer gave me the contact info for her quail supplier but he is in Minnesota Lake which is kind of the opposite direction of where I'm headed. I'll look for a preserve in SW Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw those two but it seems I'm ahead of their time frames a little.

Back