looking for someone to hunt with

elctrcking

well openingday is close and I'm looking to hunt with someone that has a dog. My regular hunt bud traded me in for a promising hunt on private land. (cant blame him) Dont mind driving to wher the birds are as I live by La Junta.

Best Post Ever

elctrcking,

This has to be the best post ever. So this is my first post but "I want to hunt with someone that has a dog and have my limit by lunch, don't worry about picking me up as I have my own car".

Sorry you have it coming for this one! I can't wait to see the other responses.

Ringneck

elctrcking,

this has to be the best post ever. So this is my first post but "i want to hunt with someone that has a dog and have my limit by lunch, don't worry about picking me up as i have my own car".

Sorry you have it coming for this one! I can't wait to see the other responses.

Ringneck

oooucccccc hhhhhhhhhh

done you a favor!

friends like that you dont need enemies dude!Need to get yourself a dog my man!to This is how i look at it its a privledge to hunt behind my dog and with me.

now thats funny

let me try this again. I have a 6 mo. old britt and want to get her out in the field to maybe learn and get used to what she was bread to do. Also I want to learn handling technics from a more expierenced handler. I will keep my dog close to me and really do more observing than hunting. Thanks by the way I got a hell of a laugh myself!

Man, you guys are brutal. The dudes friend bailed on him and he's looking for someone to tag along with. Now it most likely won't happen this weekend, but I'm sure some of us with a few years of experience would be glad to teach a rookie how it's done. I'm sure there was a point when each one of you were wondering how to go about this pheasant hunting thing. I know I sure was.

Elctrcking,

I will admit; it was a bit amuzing and forward for you to make a request like that, but I know your eager to get out there and learn all you can.

My advice to you would be to get out there; regardless if you're by yourself or with somebody. Grab a walk in atlas and get out there. Nothing can replace the experience you get while in the field.

I let my brittany tag along when he was about the same age as your dog, but didn't get too serious with him until the following year. I also took him to a preserve a couple of times which paid huge dividends. The birds cooperate better there and he was really able to get a sense of what he was supposed to do. And don't be too serious with him. Relax and know he will improve in all aspects with age.

Finally, don't sweat it if you don't get out opening weekend. It's not all it's cracked up to be. It's crowded and the crops are still in. A month from now, you'll be able to go out east and have the whole place to yourself.

Find myself agreeing with chadsbritt a lot today...

Best way for you and pup to learn is to get stuck right into it. Head out and have fun. She's likely to make mistakes and so are you, but that's how we learn.

I got a great place that I take mine out of season for training - you can buy the birds, plant them and she can work them until her heart's content. It's a laid back operation, no memberships, good prices. Bit of a drive from La Junta, but what better way to spend a day than out playing with the dog?

I won't likely be there again until after the season closes, but I'll put you in touch with them if you like and you can get some practice in for the next few weeks and then have a go at wild bird once she's getting the feel of it... Send me a PM if you want details.

One other quick note: 6 months is not too early to get her on birds, by any stretch. The earlier the better! I started my pup on pen-raised quail when she was 12 weeks and she's never since gone a month without being exposed to birds. No professional training, just heaps of time in the field letting her fine tune herself. Start now, give her lots of exposure - it'll pay off later!

thanks

Hey guys thanks for the tips they all sound great. Jfl I would love to have that info. I do have access to property and I will try to find where I can buy some quail. I"m also intrested in where you took your dog for training. Thanks Chadsbritt for the back up. This place can be brutal if you dont express yourself correctly! Keep the tips comming as they are taken seriously and greatly appriciated.

Hey guys thanks for the tips they all sound great. Jfl I would love to have that info. I do have access to property and I will try to find where I can buy some quail. I"m also intrested in where you took your dog for training. Thanks Chadsbritt for the back up. This place can be brutal if you dont express yourself correctly! Keep the tips comming as they are taken seriously and greatly appriciated.

Have sent you a PM with the contact info...

I will try to find where I can buy some quail.

Your not to far from what is possibly the best resource for quail in the state. We get a number of quail from their and will be buying all of our birds from there going forward. Contact R&R Game bird out of Lamar 719-688-0914. Great people, best prices, and good flying birds.

Back