Looking for some advice

hunter-d

Somewhat new to the site. I did a pheasant hunt out by Winner last October. Saw literally hundreds of birds but it was all on private land. I would like to get my kid in on the action this year but the cost was very steep and I could not afford both of us on private land. So I am thinking of giving public lands a shot. My plan is somewhat simple, get a Gezzetter and find some spots and camp out in my van with my son and dog. My biggest question is if I should try to do it all on opening day. Last year our time was a week after opener and on my way up I had an extra day to kill so I hit a public space before going to the lodge. I walked a few hours and only saw a hen. The cover was birdy and I was the only guy on the plot but I figured that the space was already overhunted. Judging by the amount of people in hotels in Mitchell I am guessing the public lands would have to be a zoo, but then again was thinking all the activity on the first day may be worth the hassle. Any suggestions? Alos would be looking for a more reasonable rate for private land if anyone knows of one. Thanks.:)

Later would be better for public ground. You might want to check out a UGUIDE type operation.

If it is just you and your son I have to think you might get out "competed" by some aggresive groups on opening weekend. If you were to hunt during the week after opening day it might be a little easier on the public parcels.

Like mentioned above I prefer hunting public land later in the season. Early to mid November being prime time for me. Hunter activity is usually way down from the first two-weeks of the season but even with that I schedule my hunts during the week when possible. Also as you get later in the season the crops are coming out and this will force more and more roosters to use the cover available on the public parcels.

I'd also suggest not targeting public land hunting around the Mitchel, Winner & Chamberlain areas. There is just not enough available public land in these areas to support the high hunter activity. I'd stay east of the river but travel more north and northwest to freelance.

Good luck

Last edited:
I hear your pain. Have hunted the limited state ground in Mitchell area with minimal results. BUT have hunted walk-in areas N of Aberdeen and limited out. Key up there is finding walk-in areas that are not all cattails. Overall there's more walk-in ground in the NE area, you just may need to scout out and find huntable spots, but it's very doable.

Thanks for the input, I do apprecaite it.

Parkerman - what time of the year do you hunt?

Downtown - I think I know what you mean by out competed. . I am about 750 miles due east and the only pheasant hunting we have around here is put-in-take. It all about being slow, slow and slow and let the dogs work.

This last fall in SD was really mind blowing. 15 guys. 9 of them pushing hard and fast through tall corn and thick food plots driving to blockers. It was quite the experience. I especaiily liked the sleeping deer exploding out from under your feet during the drive. Have to bring some extra BVD's nest time. Kind of brings me up to another question. Do the people in public area take to the idea of grouping up or does everyone kind go their separate way?

Not sure if it worked, but tried to upload a photo . . thats me with the yellow lab.

Downtown - I think I know what you mean by out competed. . I am about 750 miles due east and the only pheasant hunting we have around here is put-in-take. It all about being slow, slow and slow and let the dogs work.

Hey hunter-d.

Certainly didn't mean any disrespect to you or your dogs. Simply referring to you and your son being a small "group" and having to share some very busy public areas with what often times will be very large and very aggressive (meaning not always polite or accomodating) groups of hunters.

Many of the hunting parties out and about the first two weeks of the season are the fair weather hunters. Not as serious about the sport as the likes of us on the board and not always aware of what to us would be common hunting courtesy on busy public land.

DB

I've typically hunt the 2nd week of Nov since by then most of the corn is out and the birds are in grass and cattails. Have hunted by self and with 2 other guys, depends on who can come/ who can't. Use GSP's. You and your son would do well, might not get the far flushing/runners but yu'll have enough action if you hunt right and push to areas that are natural "blocks"- towards road ditchs, cut grass, etc. I've also hunted after Thanksgiving and I think the walk in is typically the best cover then. Get an atlas and look for concentrated areas in WIP. Realize that when you get to the area you may hunt it or not depending on what if actually looks like and if there are cut crops nearby. Only beef is that alot of the WIP N of Aberdeen is all cattails. But you can find areas with grass.

No offense taken Downtown . . I was just trying to think about what we were doing last year and how that would look to a small group if they got between pushers and blockers. I could see us trying to slip through the groups and getting pushed off direction pretty quick.

Thank for all the info. I like the idea of getting out there after the crops have been pulled in and the crowds die down. For me its not so much about shooting and getting birds as much as it is having an enjoyable hunt that is stress free. I really liked the October weather though . . 60's and sunny with lots of birds.

Thank for all the info. I like the idea of getting out there after the crops have been pulled in and the crowds die down. For me its not so much about shooting and getting birds as much as it is having an enjoyable hunt that is stress free. I really liked the October weather though . . 60's and sunny with lots of birds.

The standing crops were a major issue last year so I would watch the crop harvest progress reports. USDA has them and I do reports weekly based on what i am hearing around state and my interpretation of the report.

Back