looking for solid V pups

boombaby

i am planning on getting a solid vizsla pup some time after aug. 2011. i dont plan on doing any field trials or hunt tests just looking for a good solid hunting dog. i live in sioux falls, sd and wanted to know if any experienced owners have any advise if i could find a V with solid lines around 700$ in my neck of the woods. it seems they run expensive and im not totaly convinced you need to spend a grand to get a good one. any advise would be greatly apreciated. thanks!

P.S.

i also want a close hunting dog. i hear field trial lines tend to have a huge range. any truth to this or is it all based on training.

Welcome to UPH, boombaby. You might want to introduce yourself in the Introduction forum. I live in Aberdeen and I'm sorry I can't help you regarding information on a Vizsla pup. I see someone in Java, SD had a litter of Vizsla pups but they were in the $1,000 range. If you don't want a pup until August you have some time to look around. Hopefully someone on this site can provide some guidance. While it can be true that field trial dogs are bigger runners it isn't always the case and a lot of what determines a dogs range is the training. One advantage of buying a pup from field trial stock is that you will tend to get a dog with a very good pedigree. I would steer away from "backyard" breeders and only buy from a reputable breeder even if you have to pay a little more. Make sure you check out the parents and grand parents, if possible, to see if they have all the traits you are looking for. Also get references and speak with others that have purchased pups from the breeder. Good luck with your search. After all, the search is half the fun.

i also want a close hunting dog. i hear field trial lines tend to have a huge range. any truth to this or is it all based on training.

I believe I replied to you on Gundog forum and listed some names.

As with any litter, their range is going to be different. This is where you are going to have to trust a good breeder.

From one litter, I have a girl that runs, runs runs. This is what I want. From that same litter, I've seen pups without the run.

I wouldn't buy a vizsla from a breeder that doesn't test them in one manner or another because of the chance that you would end up with a dog that doesn't have any birdiness. I foster dogs for rescue and have had two littermates in recently, and neither one of them had any prey drive at all. In fact, out of the 20-30 dogs i've had come through the last few years, I've had two that were worth anything.
While there are good dogs out there coming from good, nontesting breeders, it's too much of a crapshoot to go to unproven breeders.

I would look at NAVHDA or some hunt tests to start with.

Just my opinion.

I believe I replied to you on Gundog forum and listed some names.

As with any litter, their range is going to be different. This is where you are going to have to trust a good breeder.

From one litter, I have a girl that runs, runs runs. This is what I want. From that same litter, I've seen pups without the run.

I wouldn't buy a vizsla from a breeder that doesn't test them in one manner or another because of the chance that you would end up with a dog that doesn't have any birdiness. I foster dogs for rescue and have had two littermates in recently, and neither one of them had any prey drive at all. In fact, out of the 20-30 dogs i've had come through the last few years, I've had two that were worth anything.
While there are good dogs out there coming from good, nontesting breeders, it's too much of a crapshoot to go to unproven breeders.

I would look at NAVHDA or some hunt tests to start with.

Just my opinion.

Where do you live at that people get rid of 30 Vizslas is there some thing wrong with the vizslas in your area? What do you charge for the dogs that are given to you?

Where do you live at that people get rid of 30 Vizslas is there some thing wrong with the vizslas in your area? What do you charge for the dogs that are given to you?

I foster dogs for rescue.

They didn't all come in at the same time, obviously. I've been doing this for some time now. I live in Kansas. I'm a member of the Show Me Vizsla Club. We've bought out a puppy mill before, I've had owner surrenders, the animal shelters in the area call me when they get vizslas in.
We housebreak them, worm them, nueter/spay them, and then people can adopt them through our website. We have an application process and an adoption fee. All of the fees go back to rescue to pay for vet bills, food, etc.

No, there's nothing wrong with the vizslas, but there is a lot wrong with the owners.

Here's our website. I have Radar, right now.

http://showmevizsla.homestead.com/R1.html

Here's a video of Radar on a bird. I have done nothing with him but introduce birds to him. I put some in a launcher and when he would creep or move after point, I would launch the bird.
No e-collar, no whoa, nothing. Just him and the bird.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtBXyHYiOE

Last edited:
I foster dogs for rescue.

They didn't all come in at the same time, obviously. I've been doing this for some time now. I live in Kansas. I'm a member of the Show Me Vizsla Club. We've bought out a puppy mill before, I've had owner surrenders, the animal shelters in the area call me when they get vizslas in.
We housebreak them, worm them, nueter/spay them, and then people can adopt them through our website. We have an application process and an adoption fee. All of the fees go back to rescue to pay for vet bills, food, etc.

No, there's nothing wrong with the vizslas, but there is a lot wrong with the owners.

Here's our website. I have Radar, right now.

http://showmevizsla.homestead.com/R1.html

Here's a video of Radar on a bird. I have done nothing with him but introduce birds to him. I put some in a launcher and when he would creep or move after point, I would launch the bird.
No e-collar, no whoa, nothing. Just him and the bird.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAtBXyHYiOE

You do good work, John.

The responsibility goes with the owner and the breeders.

Breeders need to do their best to find forever, responsible owners and put out a good product.

Back