Looking for Iowa advice.

Huntdreamer

Looking for advice. I'm trying to plan a "Lifetime Memory" hunt for my 2 son-in-laws, close friend and brothers next year, 2023. Looking for recommendations for the right week in, Oct-Nov-Dec and state, Iowa or South Dakota. (other suggestions?) Would love wild birds as several have hunted reserves or game farms but I would like to give them the best natural experience. We will have 1 good dog with us.
I am considering a guide/outfitter for several days but have also thought about trying public walk in areas for a day or two. (if you all feel it's worth it)

I have been trying to work through the list of guides/outfitters from the main page but thought maybe you all may be a better resource. Appreciate any thought and recommendations. I'm trying to give them a memory like I have from ND on a friends family farm 15 years ago. Thanks

If you are wanting wild birds I would stay away from the commercial operations. In SD they must supplement the harvested birds with pen raised. So while there are often wild birds mixed in, depending on the time of year you may be hunting mostly pen raised. I will pm you a suggestion that has worked for me in the past.

Well, you are at least 6 hunters it sounds. You will need larger parcels, so look for that. SD will have more expansive areas I am assuming. I wouldn't count on private ground (Iowa). I had 5 guys once in a quarter section that has a bunch of waterways and a pretty much dried-up pond. 3 walking and 2 blocking. The owner drove by and I about lost my permission there. He hates seeing an orange army, thinks the birds don't have a chance. I only hunt that with me and my buddy now.

6 guys and 1 dog is a really really big ask on wild birds.
6 guys on new public land it will be tough to knock down 18 roosters
I recommend an outfitter. If birds in vest isnt important then by all means, get some maps and give it a go

I feel like your biggest challenge at hunting public land in Iowa would be the lack of dogs. Not only for hunting birds, but more so for the recovery of birds. Non-Toxic shot is required on all of the public land I have hunted in Iowa and there isn't much penetration. Anything I don't hit in the head generally comes back to me alive and we all know how hard it is to find a rooster clinging for their lives in the grass. I once hunted in a larger group where my two labs were the only dogs with I think 8 guys. Myself and the dogs were shot by the end of the day trying to find cripples that other guys shot. And we didn't find very many as mine are just not good cold trackers. If they see it going down it's really close to 100% recovery. It seems like they get on other birds right away or something. I have since added a Golden to the mix and she is an awesome cold tracker.

everyone wants a memory trip, join the crowd. 1 good dog for 6 guys is not enough.
he will be worn out after 3 days of doing most of the work.
follow the field reports this fall and weather, winter and spring, then pick your state next summer and get some dog power
and prepare to walk a lot, its the same every year.

Back