Looking for birds to train with ??

pccraig

I posted this question on another site with no luck.

I'm looking for some help tracking down a local source for live pigeons to introduce my young springer to live birds. I live in the NW Suburbs in McHenry County.

I'd also appreciate any training insights, tips, or techniques from experienced members.

Thanks in advance.

The only place I know of to get pigeons is at the Kankakee County Fairgrounds.The have a bird sale there the first Sunday of every month.Next one is June 5th.The grounds are located off of I-57(exit 308)They open early and the resonably priced birds go fast.Sorry,don't know of any place closer to you.As far as tips,you might want to start your pup out with quail first,pigeons sometimes startle young dogs.Quail breeder in Monnee off of I-57 and Manhatten-Monnee Road called GC Breeding 708-534-7521.

welcome to the site Craig. Im in your area too.
Do you need pigeons or would quail work? I may be able to help if that would be ok

I posted this question on another site with no luck.

I'm looking for some help tracking down a local source for live pigeons to introduce my young springer to live birds. I live in the NW Suburbs in McHenry County.

I'd also appreciate any training insights, tips, or techniques from experienced members.

Thanks in advance.

Try a pigeon trap. They work good. Set in a grain yard or under pass.

welcome to the site Craig. Im in your area too.
Do you need pigeons or would quail work? I may be able to help if that would be ok

UplandHntr,

Quail will work fine. I'd like to start him out with some frozen birds to make sure he maintains a soft mouth with them, then I'd like to move into live birds with limited flight ability.

Am I on the right track here ?

Try Rice Farms by Bong recreation area in Wisconsin 262 539-3374, you can also train at Bong, but you need a permit available at the Ranger Office there. You should ask you breeder about how and where to train. I have GSP's and thus get a lot of help from NAVHDA, but that is for pointing dogs, but they offer excellent DIY help and monthly training, Spaniel people must have similar clubs. Again your breeder or local AKC spaniel club would be the place to turn for help.

PC, sorry I haven't posted earlier. I don't have the time to frequent the site as much anymore.

Anyway, I have a friend that has 25 pheasants left over in a pen. I may butcher them and give them to the local food shelter but if you're interested in a few let me know ASAP. 1pheas4

UplandHntr,

Quail will work fine. I'd like to start him out with some frozen birds to make sure he maintains a soft mouth with them, then I'd like to move into live birds with limited flight ability.

Am I on the right track here ?

I was going to recommend Rice Farms as well. If interested I can get yoy the low down on how to call/pick up etc

I have a few frozen pheasants if you want them for the wings of whole or something.

Back