Looking for any general handling advice for Hunt Test

shorthairs4life

I've never been in or watched a hunt test before and I'm just looking for any general advice or handling tips from those more experienced.
My dog will be going after his Junior Hunting title on the 18th and 19th of next month.
I want to make sure from a handlers perspective, I give the dog the best opportunity.

Thanks for any tips, advice or guidance.

Rick

I've never been in or watched a hunt test before and I'm just looking for any general advice or handling tips from those more experienced.
My dog will be going after his Junior Hunting title on the 18th and 19th of next month.
I want to make sure from a handlers perspective, I give the dog the best opportunity.

Thanks for any tips, advice or guidance.

Rick

Junior Hunter is pretty straightforward and easy. They just have to handle/point half of the birds they encounter? If I remember correctly? Most of the hunt tests have a bird field, so handle your dog like you would when hunting and go from there. Most importantly, have fun, and the judges should be helpful. Talk to folks. Watch other dogs, enjoy yourself.

Let the judges know you haven't done this before. Most are extremely helpful to first time handlers. Don't hack your dog but don't let him get out of control either. JH is pretty straight forward and easy. Get your dog out on the birds, he'll point, flush the bird and blank it. Make sure the judge knows your dog is on point before you flush it. It's best if your dog doesn't over pursue the flushed birds. It's not a big deal if they chase, catch or retrieve as long as they cooperate enough to come back to you and then continue on hunting. Most of all, just have fun.

You say the dog is going for a JH title? I believe it takes 4 passes to get a JH title. Go early and talk to people that are there. Usually you will find someone willing to help you out. Find someone with the same breed as yours and begin there. If nothing else you have that in common with them to start talking dogs!

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Goldenboy: It will be a double double test at Ottawa field trial grounds. On the east field the Greater Milwaukee Brittany Club will be hosting and on the West grounds across the street, the English Setter Club will be hosting. So if you enter both clubs, you will get in your 4 runs over the course of one weekend.

Pay attention to wind direction. Too many ignore this and allow the dog to run upwind which can result in bumped birds. I carry a small squeeze bottle of talcum powder that they sell in bowhunting shops. A quick squeeze gives you a good feel for winds and you can make it work for you.

Hunt Test Update

The hunt test was a good time. I would highly recommend getting out there and seeing what your dog could do.

Hunter picked up 3 legs towards the title. In one brace he did not find a bird and thus couldn't qualify. The other dog found 3 (I was pissed).

Ironically, he even picked up a 10 for bird finding in the next run(most scores were 9's and some 8's).

I'm headed out May 9th to hopefully pick up his junior title (this would make a great first b-day present for Hunter).

Back