Looking for a new bird dog

I initially thought about a GSP. I've hunted over GSPs and they seem like the perfect fit except I've been told that they are not so great in the house as the really don't have an off switch.

The other 2 breeds I thought about were Brittany and English Setter. I would prefer a dog with a shorter coat as grooming can be a pain on the Cocker but, if I can get everything else I'm looking for I'm willing to work with the grooming of the dog.

Any advice/tips anyone has on pro's and con's are greatly appreciated.
Find a breeder near you that is willing to work and train with you to get you and your pup off to a great start. See how the breeder’s adult dogs hunt and if their style suits you. The breeder is as important as the breed.

Btw- my GSP is a machine in the field and mellow in the house.

Brittany is my choice. I've had some fair ones, some good ones, and some excellent ones over the years. They are typically very versatile. I had one French Brittany that was phenomenal on Quail. She loved hunting singles after the covey flushed. Like others have mentioned, bloodlines are extremely important. At present I'm looking for a started French Brittany. Started dogs are typically bargains. You also see the drive the dog has. Which is extremely important in any breed. Hope this helps.

I'm looking to pick everyone's brain on the best breed of dog for me.

I live in Western PA and I really only hunt pheasant or the rare grouse if I stumble upon one. I really don't see any duck/goose hunting in my future so a dog that goes in the water is not a priority.

I'm looking for a pointer dog that knows how to turn it down a bit when they are inside as this dog will live with the rest of the family. With that being said, I realize bird dogs are high strung and full of energy that need good exercise. I have an average size house with 3 acres of mowed lawn that I use to pay fetch, train etc. to burn out that energy. On top of that, my son is a runner so they can get some good exercise running the trails with him.

I currently have an English Cocker Spaniel that I pheasant hunt with and I lover her for the first couple days after the fields are stocked. She does great in any type of cover and is great a chasing cripples and does well on retrieves. Where she struggles (maybe it's just me) but since she is such a close working dog, it's not all that uncommon to go out and walk 6-8 miles and not find a bird so...

I'm looking for a dog that will range out (100-200 yds) and work to find that next bird and then hold that point until I get there. The dog doesn't have to be awesome at retrieving birds as I can always send in the Cocker to find the dead/crippled bird.

I initially thought about a GSP. I've hunted over GSPs and they seem like the perfect fit except I've been told that they are not so great in the house as the really don't have an off switch.

I then shifted my thoughts over to an English Pointer but I've read they aren't much for colder weather. Our first month or 2 are pretty warm but in Jan and Feb it gets pretty darn cold. I've also read stories of these Pointers running great distances. While I don't mind in fact I want a dog that ranges out a bit, I need to keep in mind that I'm on a game lands and there are often other hunters there. I don't want a dog running 2-3 fields down from me messing with someone else's hunt.

The other 2 breeds I thought about were Brittany and English Setter. I would prefer a dog with a shorter coat as grooming can be a pain on the Cocker but, if I can get everything else I'm looking for I'm willing to work with the grooming of the dog.

Check the setter I just posted.

My setters, hard hunting dogs and they are in the house when I'm home. Wouldn't haven't any other way..

Attachments

• 20211026_175251.jpg
    20211026_175251.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4860.jpg
    IMG_4860.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG950504.jpg
    IMG950504.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm looking to pick everyone's brain on the best breed of dog for me.

I live in Western PA and I really only hunt pheasant or the rare grouse if I stumble upon one. I really don't see any duck/goose hunting in my future so a dog that goes in the water is not a priority.

I'm looking for a pointer dog that knows how to turn it down a bit when they are inside as this dog will live with the rest of the family. With that being said, I realize bird dogs are high strung and full of energy that need good exercise. I have an average size house with 3 acres of mowed lawn that I use to pay fetch, train etc. to burn out that energy. On top of that, my son is a runner so they can get some good exercise running the trails with him.

I currently have an English Cocker Spaniel that I pheasant hunt with and I lover her for the first couple days after the fields are stocked. She does great in any type of cover and is great a chasing cripples and does well on retrieves. Where she struggles (maybe it's just me) but since she is such a close working dog, it's not all that uncommon to go out and walk 6-8 miles and not find a bird so...

I'm looking for a dog that will range out (100-200 yds) and work to find that next bird and then hold that point until I get there. The dog doesn't have to be awesome at retrieving birds as I can always send in the Cocker to find the dead/crippled bird.

I then shifted my thoughts over to an English Pointer but I've read they aren't much for colder weather. Our first month or 2 are pretty warm but in Jan and Feb it gets pretty darn cold. I've also read stories of these Pointers running great distances. While I don't mind in fact I want a dog that ranges out a bit, I need to keep in mind that I'm on a game lands and there are often other hunters there. I don't want a dog running 2-3 fields down from me messing with someone else's hunt.

My advice is if their was some birds in the 6-8 mile walk the English cocker would find them what your little buddy needs is not another dog but for his owner to take him to south or North Dakota where their is pheasants for him to chase

My experience has been there is a difference between best and favorite. Best? probably pointer. Personalities? Britts are sweet and cute. GSP's easy to train, excel in warmer climates. Wires, crazy goofy, versatile, excel finding cripples but can have quirks and can develop problems if you're not careful. Germans, depending on breeding can also be pretty versatile. Setters, probably the best of both worlds sweet, fine in kennel or house. I like the smaller dogs with shorter coats, longer coats require more maintenance. But don't expect a setter to pull double duty as a guard dog unless you want the perpetrators to be licked to death! Never owned a flusher but have seen some really cool ones that would find every bird that left a track. Wires are my favorite, but they are not for everybody.

One more piece of advice. Some breeders will hate me for this! Remember this comes from on man's experience. If I look at pedigree and see field champion after field champion, that pup instantly gets scratched from my list. AKC hunt tests, and n.a.v.d.a are different as they don't emphasize speed and range. Every dog I've owned from field champions hold their own special memories and I shot a lot of birds over them, but it was a kind of hunting that would not work today. I basically dumped out the dog, he went bird hunting, and I went bird dog hunting. After a few years of that I realized I was having a lot more fun hunting with buddies whose dogs were bred by dogs that hadn't been registered for generations some of whom even had questionable ancestors. Don't get me wrong I gave more for my last pup that I have given for my last 3 together! but bragging rights about lineage will not equal more birds in the vest!

Back