Lock & Load for Nebraska Opener

BritChaser

Going to try my luck on the Nebraska opener. Didn't fire a shot on last year's opener, but here I go again. :eek:

Good Luck! I got in last night and drove a bunch today. Looks to be a good opener except for the warm weather. I saw more birds driving around today than I thought I would see. Even saw 3 coveys of quail!! Daylight can not come fast enough.

Good luck fellas, post some reports and pics.:cheers:

My partner and I had our limit of 6 plus a quail by 10 am. Had a few flush long but several good points on hens along with the roosters. Got hot quick, we were actually headed back to truck to call it a day when the last bird was pointed. Another group of 5 friends had 14 before they quit due to heat. Both of us groups were on public land. Lots of guys out and lots of birds shot by the guys that scouted. This year is same as years past, some areas look great but hold few if any birds and other areas have a lot of birds, but maybe only on parts of a property. This is where being local and getting to run all these areas pays off. It would be hard to come in blind and nail the right spot off the bat. Kinda like us going to South Dakota last year, just keep hitting areas and put together a list for the future. I do think numbers are up though, seeing a lot more birds this fall and talking to guys today confirmed that thought, even with the heat.

Last edited:
Rooster Mafia nailed it. If you were in the right spots there were plenty of birds. 10 miles another direction in great looking cover and there were few if any birds. Some guys at the hotel had some young and I mean young roosters. They barely had there colors in and were very small. I guess there was a late late hatch. On a good note there are lots of hens. The birds were I was were jumpy and didnt hold well. Good luck to every one still out.

Saw total of three birds on Sat.: one cock, two hens. Did not bother hunting Sun. Very poor.

Hot on Saturday, much cooler on Sunday.

Three guys with four Pointing Labs - four roosters and two quail on Sat, four roosters on Sun, hunted by myself on Mon morning and got one more rooster. Missed a few shots all three days as well.

Saw plenty of birds, including a few coveys of quail. Most pheasant were holding 10-20yds from the edge in CRP fields. Most had cut crops adjacent, but not all. Quail were found near water - mostly irrigation ditches.

Birds seemed to be holding tight. I almost stepped on the last bird on Monday. Saw lot's of roosters running around out in the open (roads, yards, hayed fields, etc.) on Monday morning.

All in all a pretty good weekend.

:cheers:
Dave

Hot on Saturday, much cooler on Sunday.

Three guys with four Pointing Labs - four roosters and two quail on Sat, four roosters on Sun, hunted by myself on Mon morning and got one more rooster. Missed a few shots all three days as well.

Saw plenty of birds, including a few coveys of quail. Most pheasant were holding 10-20yds from the edge in CRP fields. Most had cut crops adjacent, but not all. Quail were found near water - mostly irrigation ditches.

Birds seemed to be holding tight. I almost stepped on the last bird on Monday. Saw lot's of roosters running around out in the open (roads, yards, hayed fields, etc.) on Monday morning.

All in all a pretty good weekend.

:cheers:
Dave

Nice hunt!

Back