Lewis Dog Boots

Labs

Wondering if anyone else is using Lewis Dog Boots?

I got some after last season and trained my dogs on them over the summer. I didn't think to use them the first couple hunts this year but it came back why I got them after pulling thorns out and doctoring a couple pad cuts. Started using them last Friday. No problem getting everyone to lay still to put them on, after the initial high stepping, there were no problems in the field. We hunted some rough, thorny cover as well as cattails this weekend and it was really nice not to have to doctor pad injuries & leave dogs at home because of them.

For those who don't know, they aren't duct taped to the dog's leg, but to a piece of duct tape wrapped loosely around the dog's leg sticky side out inside the top of the boot, then duct tape is put over the boot sticky side in. They won't come off it put on like this. I use blaze orange duct tape, so it's easy to see the boots are still on the dog while they are hunting...

I use them. I use pre-wrap on the leg, then boot up the dog and then use flame orange duct tape that connects boot to pre-wrap. Haven't lost a boot yet.

I use them. I use pre-wrap on the leg, then boot up the dog and then use flame orange duct tape that connects boot to pre-wrap. Haven't lost a boot yet.
I presume you mean you use Vet Wrap? I'll give that a try. Would cut down on a lot of the duct tape goo cleanup that's needed after a couple hunts...

Yep, I'm the superintendent so I just "steal" it from the training room. Your tax dollars at work ... right...?

Put them on for a fairly deep snow cattail hunt on Sunday. When we got home I found the drain holes plugged with ice and balls of ice inside all the boots. That couldn't have been comfortable. Obviously not a good idea to use them in those conditions...

I use cut inner tubes during snow or ice hunts. Slide on, fold over and tape. Don’t get them to tight on the fold.

I've used them in desert hunting and they are the best IMHO. The pre-wrapping of the ankles down to below where the boot comes up keeps the edge of the boot from cutting or chafing. May need to cut out a piece in the back of the front boots so the stoppers are not covered by the boot. J&J makes a stretchy, sticky-on-both-sides white tape that works well for the pre-wrap. Then duct tape around the upper boot and wrapped portion of the ankle. Another nice thing is that you can order pairs allowing a larger size for the fronts.

I like Lewis dog boots. Used other brands and kept spending loads of $$ for replacing one boot. Lewis boots you can buy one boot and it comes via USPS fast. Here is a good YouTube video showing how to put it on dog so it won't come off in heavy brush:

Anybody figure out a better way to get the duct tape residue off them than Goo Gone?

I’ve used them in western Oklahoma quite a bit. I always pre wrapped with duct tape to give the boot tape something to adhere to. I keep medical scissors with me to cut them off when done. Check them occasionally because they can work off or get debris in them.

Anybody figure out a better way to get the duct tape residue off them than Goo Gone?
Yes. Don't apply duct tape to the dog's hair. Rather, use the J&J stretchy pre-wrap tape well up the ankle so that the duct tape only sticks to the pre-wrap.

Back