Let's talk late season strategy

CharBroiled

Right now, it seems the pheasants are acting incredibly weird. We're seeing them in random, non-traditional places. We saw 8 roosters trotting along a hedge row bordered by green wheat on both sides. The moment we slowed down to watch what they were doing, they turned and skittered back down the hedge.

Do your tactics change when it comes to late season hunting? We might actually start in feed tomorrow morning at first light.

I can tell you my strategy has not put the birds within range the past two days. Seeing enough birds that you would think one rooster would sit tight. My shorthair has had some great points on hens that held really tight.

I have been hunting crp along crops and milo stubble. Did hunt some thick wheat stubble late today and put 10 or so birds in the air. All wild flushes.

My strategy is not to hunt these late season, uncivilized, running sob's!! Hunted them 3 days since Monday and all I and the dogs got was frustrated! Back to quail for me tomorrow. Not sure where I'll be going but it will be someplace with NO pheasants! Managed some quail to saver the days tbough.

it's tough, if i had time i would venture up again, you have to think outside the box this time of year, your approach, where you hunt and tactics all need to be considered......as you make a plan, try to think like a bird who has been harassed and seeks refuge........don't always think heavy cover, out of the way spots, that look isolated, don't get messed with much and the birds know it...try to approach like you were going to jump shoot ducks, put the dog on a lead until you get to the suspect cover.....it's almost like deer hunting, until you get in the cover......you might even walk around the outside edges first and then dive in somewhere, change it up........confusion and surprise are your friends. :thumbsup:

We actually went up the middle of an 80 of CRP then broke off into two pairs to walk the edges back, one pair on the east, one on the west. Threw the birds into all sorts of chaos.

Back