Leaving in the morning Aberdeen area

beaglebob1

Just got caught up on work and taking first out of state hunting trip.(cincinnati) Driving 17 hrs to get there.
Heading to Aberdeen area meeting 6 other hunters. Weather will be COLD. I have never hunted my EPs in this climate, -0 temps every night and highs of 7-15 degrees during are stay. Any tips ??:confused:

keep them indoors at night
not sure how you travel so its hard to make recommendations there. SUV/PU Truck/Car etc

You may want to consider booties of some sorts beginning the first day. There may be icy snow with those temps. You wait until their feet have issues and youre hunt is about over.
Short trips in the field and then a rest in the vehicle may be something to consider.

Are you hunting public land or?

keep them indoors at night
not sure how you travel so its hard to make recommendations there. SUV/PU Truck/Car etc

You may want to consider booties of some sorts beginning the first day. There may be icy snow with those temps. You wait until their feet have issues and youre hunt is about over.
Short trips in the field and then a rest in the vehicle may be something to consider.

Are you hunting public land or?

uguide hunt. taking 4 dogs dog box in truck with cap,they will be staying indoors at night.

Hunted west of Aberdeen in early November. Lots of birds. The dogs will be great for retrieving and finding cripples but don't count on many points. Birds will be flushing as you exit your vehicle. Make sure you have blockers at the end of the fields as this is your best chance to kill birds. Have fun.

Bob

Pushing the limits for EP's. They'll be OK while hunting unless the wind is really ripping, I've seen some that won't handle that. Booties help keep the feet from getting ripped up but don't do much about the cold. Neoprene vests help but if the dogs aren't used to them it's not something you want to start with now. Other vests have to be careful of--they may help keep snow off the belly but inevitably in my experience you'll get some snow between chest protector and belly that freezes--they your dogs will really tell you they are cold.

Get anything off the dog when they get back to the truck ASAP and have dry towels to dry them off before sticking them in the box and they should be OK. Good quality food as much as they want in the evening. Don't leave them outside at night, bring them in. If the place doesn't allow that, don't budge--cancel the reservation if you have to. A lot of pay to hunt places have no experience with the different needs of thin-skinned dogs like EP's and treat every dog is if it's a lab or setter.

They will be in at night. thx for the tips:thumbsup:

Back