Last Weekend Report

NavyChief

Against my best judgement I decided to go northeast this last weekend, conditions were no different, still extremely dry and windy. I had hoped the little skiff of snow we had in town was more widespread but no dice.

My buddy that was supposed to go with me was feeling under the weather so I headed up Saturday morning just me and the two dogs. I walked five different WIA fields and managed to put up one hen. Temps got up into the high 50's and the wind was blowing at least 20. My friend felt better that afternoon so he drove up and to go out Sunday.

The extra manpower helped and we ended up seeing 11 birds Sunday but none of them ended up in the bag. Birds have sure wised up. Long gone are the slow, high flushes. Every single rooster either flushed wild at 70+ yards or was low and straight away. The best chance I had was a bird that held to point but I was on a high bank above the bird and dogs and he flushed low and straight away. I had to wait until he was about 50 yards out before he cleared the dogs and whiffed the shot.

Could we please get some colder temps and snow? PLEASE???

Thanks for the report. Would you do me a favor though, and explain what you (and others) mean by a bird that "flushed wild?" I'm still trying to learn all this stuff. Thank you!

It is a term used for spooky birds that flush well out of shotgun range.

I'm running into the same issues, even on private land. Between the warm temps, wind and dry conditions; the birds are flushing long before we get to them. The hens seem to be holding tighter than the roosters.

Yeah if only the roosters would hold as well as the hens, there would be a lot of chip shots and many more birds in the bag! Here's to hoping this coming storm makes its way to the northeast part of the state.

We had the same experience out there last weekend. Birds flushing at around 100yd. Only had one get up in range (flushed behind me). Lots of trucks out, every WIA property we went by had multiple vehicles on it (we just kept driving) and had someone come in and hunt the field we were on first thing in the morning. They kind of screwed up our tactic because they came in and hunted the area we were working our way around to hunt it from the opposite direction.

Sure wish some late fall/winter weather would show up.

birds flushing out of range, wind blowing 50 mph...dogs getting burrs in there feet. does this suck or what. we need snow. all will be right in the world if we "get some"

One last thing; my old man was a Chief Petty Officer. I was an officer. Swaubees suck hind tit unless the guarheads need a ride to the fight and some air cover and a ride back after they killed everything that didn't surrender.

Back