Last three day weekend

quail hound

Paving season has come to an end and I go back to a normal 5 8's work week on monday so I talk dad into a little trip and we packed up and headed to the Oroville WA area since quail hunting has been poor around these parts. We had a fun little trip despite being rained out most of friday. We saw some new ground, moved some birds and even bagged a couple. In total we probably only hunted around 6 hrs but we brought home 8 quail and had a close encounter with a cold, wet rattler. Thankfully we were able to keep the dogs clear of him. Excuse the poor pic quality, my phone doesn't take great pics when its cloudy.

My dad and the pups.

20141101_095641_zpsd5c7fd75.jpg

20141031_084551_zpse13e231e.jpg

I believe this is a northern california black walnut.

20141101_095412_zps67b15a1f.jpg

20141101_081240_zps76f3eeab.jpg

20141031_082909_zpsa98a0ab5.jpg

20141031_082902_zpsfc006458.jpg

Ah Oroville

That's my afterwork stomping grounds. There are a lot of birds their and a few good wood duck ponds if you know where to look.

That country looks fairly familiar. I actually lost track of my bearings in there once and had to use the GPS on the Astro to find my way back to the truck.

Hopefully the buzzworms will be in their dens after this chilly weekend.

That country looks fairly familiar. I actually lost track of my bearings in there once and had to use the GPS on the Astro to find my way back to the truck.

Hopefully the buzzworms will be in their dens after this chilly weekend.

Dad and I found ourselves stuck in a jungle for about an hour, we kept pushing through thinking it would open up and it never did.:eek: Not a fun or productive walk, we did find one of those little wood duck ponds out in the middle of it though.

It's a big place that used to be where you'd get stuff stolen. Keep that in mind when you leave stuff in your vehicle. It's better now that the local CHP took on an occasional patrol of the area. I've been wading in the river steelhead fishing and had a CHP cruiser bounce by on the gravel road. Still hard individuals out there though.

Ya there are some shady individuals out there.

I've come across a few stripped cars parked in some thick cover. When I go there I take only what I need and don't leave anything in sight. I have never had a problem but I've heard stories from friends. The pd has made more of a presence and there are more wardens as well.
if you go to Oroville wa bring a fishing rod some of those dredger ponds hold big bass.

Last edited:
Real cool! We headed up to Daughtry yesterday for one more try at some quail before Pheasant started. We didn't see any quail. Found a lot of doves and pigeons. Too bad they are out of season! First time out there and there was plenty of cover but no quail. I think we just need to spend more time there and work the area more. There was a lot of thick stuff.

It is John, if it were closer to home I'd know the place like the back of my hand.

I think you are right Cal. Beautiful tree, Dad and I made sure to sit down and take a little break underneath it.:thumbsup:

And there I was dreaming about my Claro Walnut stocked SxS as I admired it.:D

There was a grove of about 10 of them just North of Roseville that were in a pasture. The cattle had browsed the bottoms of the foliage and limbs off so that the grove was bare trunked up to a flattened canopy. In the fall it looked like a huge red mushroom or flying saucer. Beautiful! They were cut down for a road realignment. Oh well.

Cal I believe the Chinese brought those over for good luck. They grow like weeds is places (like Sonora). Robert are you sure it didn't have pistachios on it. :rolleyes:

Cal I believe the Chinese brought those over for good luck. They grow like weeds is places (like Sonora).

It's like when you buy a red convertible because you want to be different and all you see is red convertibles on the road. I went to lunch yesterday with a friend in Auburn and saw a constant string of those trees. Apparently CalTrans used them as landscaping along I-80 ramps. Scotch Broom, Privet, and Tree of Heaven. The small rodents of the tree world.:D

Back