last hunt of the year

1stout

We just returned from our last hunt of the year and a very good time was had by all. For the most part everything went pretty well, only got the truck stuck once. The old dog was having a bit of bad luck though (chocolate in the pic), first day caught in a muskrat trap and had a sore paw for a while. Day 2 for her was a run in with a fence which required a trip to the vet and 8 stitches. Day 3 return to the vet to replace a stitch that came untied and add another one then later in the day fell into a coyote den; and she really fell in, all I could see was her front legs and head. She was digging for what seemed to be her life to get out of that hole, thankfully there wasn't anything nasty in there that wanted to tangle with her. With all that she had going on this week I'm glad that I have 2 dogs and can rotate them.

The young dog got to have some fun. In a clump of cattails about 5' in diameter he knew he had found a bird so he sniffed for a bit and in he went (as normal). After a minute or so of him digging around I thought he had just caught the bird so I called him out and he didn't have it so back in he went (which I couldn't figure out because the clump wasn't that big). As he was going back in the second time he was going in and down (like walking down an incline) and kept going in until he was gone, and I mean completely gone. His tail was sticking straight out behind him and even that disappeared, The pheasants must have had a basement under those cattails or something. He did finally bust a hen and rooster out and I got the bird but there must have been a pretty good sized hole in there.

In the picture are my wife, me, father-in-law, the dogs, and my friend took the picture. It was a great day with a ton of frost on everything and foggy out.

weather was fine but warmer than I like it. It was in the teens each day. I prefer it when it stays below zero to help hold the birds, they were pretty jumpy.

Back