Last Full Weekend of the season

A buddy and I are heading out with the dog to the Holyoke area (pretty much hunting anywhere on that eastern side) and are staying the night this weekend for the last full weekend of the season.

I realize conditions have not been ideal and will not be ideal this weekend but if anyone wants to meet up and push a few fields with us, we are always open to hunting with new guys (and gals).

I will have my dog (who is a great GSP, but don't we all think our own are special!) and wouldn't mind another pup if someone wants to join. You don't have to have a pup but it usually helps.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

I gave up on wild birds after yet another unsuccessful hunt on New Years Day. Hunted pretty much every weekend since the season started with very little success. Broke down and bought a membership to a game preserve. I have a 7month old pup who needs exposure to birds more than she needs an all day walk out on the plains.

Good luck! Hopefully you will end the season on a high note. :)

I gave it a go yesterday. Came across one hen and a "UFO" ... the 2nd flushed so far out that I couldn't tell if it was a hen or a rooster. I did see about 20 deer over the course of the day ... so 10 to 1 deer to pheasant ratio. :laugh: The weather was unusually nice (60s) for pheasant hunting and even came away with a little bit of a sunburn.

Good luck this weekend!

:cheers:

I'll give the wild ones one more go this week and then head back to Steel Fork to get the dog ready for the testing season.

Hunted Phillips County today. Both public and private land. The wind was blowing at 40 - 50 mph. Pride flushed 10 hens and 2 roosters. We shot one rooster. The other one was just out of my range so I did not shoot. Unfortunately, Pride could not locate the downed bird in the deep CRP. In addition, he hurt his back knee just after lunch so we had to cut the trip short. Hopefully, it's not an ACL, and we can make one more trip out east.

Video and article to be published soon.

Good luck to all who are heading out.

Good luck to everyone going out! offer still stands if you are looking to get more guns and dogs together. We will be hunting sat afternoon and all day on sunday in Holyoke and surrounding areas.

I drive a gold dodge cummins (diesel) with a big black stack and a cummins sticker in the back window. you cant miss it. if you are out and see me, stop by and say hello.

Good luck boys, shoot straight!

Rich

I'll give the wild ones one more go this week and then head back to Steel Fork to get the dog ready for the testing season.

You and me both!! I didn't buy a membership....I went out to Blue Cliff's....and went to the Sportsman Show and a buddy and I bought a hunt from him (show special). We are going out Saturday 1 Feb.....I might try and go out to Steel Forks and give a shot (no pun intended).

Also need to work on Remi's pointing as I want to get his APR and run him in Senior in AKC.

greg

Greg, if you ever want to work the dogs down there, let me know. I am going to try for CPR and APR this year as well as his JH. If everything goes well this training season, I may try SH as well.

Greg, if you ever want to work the dogs down there, let me know. I am going to try for CPR and APR this year as well as his JH. If everything goes well this training season, I may try SH as well.

PM me and we can exchange contact information. I would love to get out and do some training. I got Remi's CPR last August. I am working on lining drills, handling work and marks. Along with the occasional barrel work. Next month the Pikes Peak RC is having a club training day.

Greg

I plan on hunting Yuma county but will be heading north east as the day goes on. If I make it that far north I will keep an eye out for you

Good luck to everyone going out! offer still stands if you are looking to get more guns and dogs together. We will be hunting sat afternoon and all day on sunday in Holyoke and surrounding areas.

I drive a gold dodge cummins (diesel) with a big black stack and a cummins sticker in the back window. you cant miss it. if you are out and see me, stop by and say hello.

Good luck boys, shoot straight!

Rich

Went out and hunted Sat evening and Sunday morning. We put up (and then knocked down) one rooster on Saturday. We also put up 6 hens on Sunday morning.

500 total miles, 1 rooster and one tuckered out pup. It was a great success in my book!

1653403_10101982323325082_1633384773_n.jpg

We tried to go on Monday, but we were somewhat doubtful that we would even make the whole trip due to the heavy snow. Our doubts turned out to be right when the guy in front of us slid into the ditch right around Wiggins. We decided it would be best if we just went home and so to not become the next people in the ditch.

Back