Land to hunt in Wisconsin

Little Brit

Me and my family might be moving to Wisconsin from Ontario, Canada. Wife might get relocated to Racine. I was wondering if there is public land available to hunt or is most land private that you would need permission from the land owner to hunt on.

Another question would be, how is the pheasant population if any or do they have release programs for the fall hunting season.

Me and my family might be moving to Wisconsin from Ontario, Canada. Wife might get relocated to Racine. I was wondering if there is public land available to hunt or is most land private that you would need permission from the land owner to hunt on.

Another question would be, how is the pheasant population if any or do they have release programs for the fall hunting season.

I can honestly tell you that you will regret the decision to move to SE WI from Canada. We have so few wild birds left down here, it's almost a waste of time to bother looking for them. There are a couple of places to get on released birds and a handful of game farms around here though. Racine is possibly one of the nastiest cities in WI and I do my best to avoid that city at all costs. If I were you, I would not work or move there even for another $25k/yr.

Plenty of bird hunting and public land around here for the willing....

The state releases a lot of birds plus there is wild pheasants in huntable numbers plus waterfowl, turkeys, doves, and woodcock.

I NEVER have problem finding something on public land to chase with a shotgun in Southern Wi sept-dec.

Thanks for reply guys. Wife's company really pushing her to go to US so I would bet within a year and a half we will need to move. I'm kind of having mixed feeling about leaving. We just moved for her job one year ago to our current house which is great I can hunt within a 5 minute ATV drive down the road but going to US might give me more opportunity to hunt as well. I'm starting to look for homes just to get an idea on the out skirts of Racine. Looking for more country living then city living and hopefully something with some land to hunt on. Would you guys know of any good places to start looking within about 1 hour drive from Racine. Thanks for any help

Larry.

First and best tip....get a map and find out how far out the city bus route is. Go 5 miles past that and start your look for a home. Another good tip when you think you've find "the" house...find a local cop out on patrol. Tell him you're looking at moving to 123 Main Street and ask him if he would move his family there. what might look like a nice neighborhood might not be...and the local guy on patrol would know.

there are several good public grounds in the general area that get stocked, but a lot of guys hunt them.

birds

There anit no wild birds here man!!!! Ok turkeys yes....grouse...on up yrs yes...doves on private land...ducks for every 1 duck there is 10 hunters..VERY FEW WILD PHEASANTS..NO HUNS..NO CHICKENS TO HUNT...SHARPTAILS IS A DRAW TAG FOR 1 BIRD....DEER YES BUT BEST HUNTING ON PRIVATE LAND. Wisconsin was once a a paradice...progress made a desert of it!!

Well wife turned down the job for now but in a few years we might be moving. Hoping to buy some land of my own to hunt on. I'll keep my eyes open for now and we will see what happens in the future. Thanks for the info anyway.

I work for the City. I don't do much all day just look up hunting stuff to buy on-line. Or I text my buddies complaining about stuff that they put on the internet. Why do you ask Big Tune

Sounds like you are a model employee. Good luck with your search!

Back