Land owners

Ok, can you tell I am trying to plan my first hunt to SD? Thanks for your patience as I post another question. Any suggestions on how to go about finding some private land to hunt. I am willing to fork out some bucks, but looking to make my first trip as cheap as possible, I plan on making a second trip the first week of December and will most likely use UGuide, but for my first trip would like to try on my own. The problem is that I am coning the second weekend of the season! Public land will be crowded. What are my chances of finding success and not overcrowding of public land the 2nd weekend? What is the best way to find farmers willing to let out of state hunters hunt their land. This trip is the trip of a lifetime for me and I want it to be successful and all. So, really, any help you can give me or any names,. that would be great. Please, if you want to keep it secret send me a private message. Again, it is my first trip to SD and an absolute dream for me and i want to make it successful. Any owners that would allow a VERY respectful hunter and his respectful group hunt with a small fee paid, PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Again, I always hunt respectfully. After my first trip, then i can pay the bigger bucks for other groups like UGuide,etc. and certainly any help they can give me now would ensure that I use them for my trip during the fist week of December for my second trip out there.

Thank you again! Seriously, this is my dream trip and it means the world to me. Any names or leads you can give me for private and will be forever greatly appreciated and not ever forgotten. I will pay the larger bucks for my second trip with anyone willing to help me out with my first trip finding some private land to hunt.

Thanks a bunch everyone, this really is my dream trip.

Send me a private message if you have a name and contact.

Thanks to all, I really, really appreciate it. This trip is several years into planning and has now become reality for me and I want it to be the trip I remember for a lifetime! I sincerely appreciate your help!

Rocky,

Can't help but appreciate your enthusiasm. I don't have any actual contacts since I've been hunting public for several years now. Hopefully a couple others can put you on the trail there.

There are a couple suggestions I could offer. Try placing an ad or two in the small town news papers of the area you have chosen to hunt basically saying what you said in your post. Something like: "Small very respectful group looking for opportunity to access private land for self-guided pheasant hunting at a reasonable cost". I would also see if those papers have a web site and follow the classifieds there to. Sometimes landowners will post similar adds looking for hunters.

Also talk with some of the motel owners where you will be staying. Frequently they have contacts for private land and can help.

I think one thing working against you will be going second week of the season. The landowners who don't view hunting access as a serious business are who you should be targeting if your looking for cheaper tresspass fees. Problem is they will often times be saving their property for friends and family that early in the season.

Finally "Caveat Emptor". Do a little due dilligence and make sure you not paying $75.00 a gun to hunt a row crop, monoculture desert or to shoot recently released birds in bad cover. 95% of the people in SD who allow access for a fee are great people but there are some exceptions.

Rocky,

How many in your group? You will have better success finding some private land if the group is small.

Coming the 2nd weekend does pose some possible problems but I wouldn't give up on public land. You may have to come a day early to scout out some good public land and then be there early the day of the hunt to stake out your claim. Sometimes some of the very small public lands get ignored so keep that in mind.

DZ

Back