Lack of post/lack of birds

I’m optimistic! I’ve got a few out my back door(can’t hunt here). My parents property 10 minutes away has a few birds for the first time in years. I just bought a property (41 acres) that’s currently holding more than a dozen birds. I have a few state land spots where I can count on putting birds up...That said, it’s definitely tough hunting public land in Michigan. The places that do have birds get pounded..

I’m optimistic! I’ve got a few out my back door(can’t hunt here). My parents property 10 minutes away has a few birds for the first time in years. I just bought a property (41 acres) that’s currently holding more than a dozen birds. I have a few state land spots where I can count on putting birds up...That said, it’s definitely tough hunting public land in Michigan. The places that do have birds get pounded..
Alot of fun though. Some years are better than others.

Isn't there a lot of pheasants in Detroit? My cousin lived there for a few years and said he'd hear them crowing all the time.

Isn't there a lot of pheasants in Detroit? My cousin lived there for a few years and said he'd hear them crowing all the time.
Yes there are. After demolition of tens of thousands of dilapidated/vacant homes and other structures, a fair bit of the city has reverted back to grassland. I wish our DNR would consider trapping these birds and releasing them in areas of the state with some habitat to allow birds to regain a foothold. Pheasants from the 'hood appear to have good genes!

Yeah crazy how the farmers drove the pheasants to the inner cities. I was amazed at the number of birds I saw in and around Detroit when traveling with my son for hockey. Not to mention the ones the succumbed to interstate traffic.

I received a Snapchat video of dozens, that’s right dozens plural, of wild birds feeding in a picked corn field this week. Winter weather turned from mild to not and has been tough the last couple weeks. Birds seem to be fairing well so far though.

I lived in Michigan 2019/2020 (enough of that state) Have a friend that stills farms in Eaton County, he used to have decent pheasant hunting. His farmland has large swales, brush growth area etc and enough of it to hold a population of birds. No pheasants anymore, he extinguishes an average of 24 raccoons in his sweet corn patch every year...Were I lived in Northern lower, same situation with egg eating predators.

Back