Lab pups

Nick

Anyone know a good breeder in Kansas for pointing labs?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks Bowhunter. Not sure I can swallow that much $ either. I'm just starting to look around. My lab is 11 and starting to wear down pretty quick. I'll check it out but may look at a little less spendy option.

I have a dandy of a male that will be 3 in december. I wish someone would breed a female to him so I could get myself a puppy. Given his hips pass ofa. He had his eyes cerf'd as a pup.

If you end up breeding him, please let me know. I'd be interested in taking one of the pups. Thanks, Nick

I bought a pointing Lab from Kieth Berger in Missouri. He charges only about $55o. He's a small breeder and may not breed every year. I have been very pleased with my dog. He works hard, finds birds and actually points. I believe you can fond info about Keith's dogs on the internet

$1500 for a pointing lab? wow, you can get a lot of nice real pointing breeds for a lot less than that. IMHO a lab should be a lab, flusher/retriever, anything else should be a pointing breed, period.....just MO, let the arguments begin!

My lab does point. I did not train him to or buy him hoping he would point. Just does it naturally. Not all the time but does on quail and a pheasant when it will hold. He is sired by a master hunter has a title dam. That being said, I bought him knowing he was from pointing lines because I feel the that the pointing lab breeders do a better job of breeding dogs with great temperments, good hunting instincts, and good looks.

OK... I'll bite...

To say a Lab shouldn't point is no different then saying a german shorthair or a brittany shouldn't retrieve.

If you study those breeds, you will find that they were originally shunned in this country because they were not "pure pointers" like the true english pointers. Now, only after many years, it is accepted that both of those breeds are versatile dogs that both point and often (but not always) retrieve instinctively.

If you study the labrador breed enough, you will eventually find that when the St John's dogs were taken to England from Newfoundland, they were bred with pointers in an attempt to create an improved upland bird dog, which is where the pointing instinct comes from in american labs today. It is much stronger in some lines, because it's value was recognized many years ago (by some really smart people :)) and specific breeding has occured targeting that instinct, as well as, all the other great lab characteristics.

IMO, those who look down on pointing labs, just have not hunted behind (or don't own) a good one!!

Of course, I am speaking from the perspective of an owner of a Two-time Grand Master Pointing Lab (soon to be a 4XGMPR and AKC MH and HRC HRCH.. if things go as planned.)... so I am definitely (and very happily) biased.

If all humans in history had the attitude that only the type of dogs that exist today should continue to exist into the future, with no new versions allowed, then there would be no "dogs" as we know them today and we would all be hunting with (or being hunted by) wolves!!!

I don't want to turn this into a competition, because I truly love all forms of well-trained bird dogs, but, I will say that... after many trips to ND hunting with Brittanys, English Setters, GSP's, and PLs... the PL's consistently put more birds in our vests and hunt longer over more days then the other breeds, with no need to pull out any burrs or worry about cold weather or how we are going to get birds that fall into water.

In fact, last year, day one, we had 5 dogs and by day 4, we had one dog left hunting... my 2.5 year old PL.

When the guys showed up at the field that morning, they said "What, we only have one dog left and its the youngster from CO"... Boy did their tune change when less than two hours later we had a limit of 12 roosters in our vests and Bear had found, pointed and retrieved every one of them! What a day!! His coming out party and the day he gained a lot of respect from the hardcore ND boys.

To be fair, I do believe the PLs we use do just happen to be way more trained and disciplined then the other dogs we have, so its not really a valid comparison of the breeds, but, still fun to talk about...

I did hunt behind some super trained GSPs once upon a time and that was an awesome experience! The GSPs and English Setters we get to hunt with today just happen to be "horizon hunters" as I call them, producing way more screams from their owners than birds.

Next....

My lab does point. I did not train him to or buy him hoping he would point. Just does it naturally. Not all the time but does on quail and a pheasant when it will hold. He is sired by a master hunter has a title dam. That being said, I bought him knowing he was from pointing lines because I feel the that the pointing lab breeders do a better job of breeding dogs with great temperments, good hunting instincts, and good looks.

that would probably be incidental, because most breeders of pointing labs breed for that instinct alone, the stronger the better.......good luck with your lab, they are a fine breed.

I have a dandy of a male that will be 3 in december. I wish someone would breed a female to him so I could get myself a puppy. Given his hips pass ofa. He had his eyes cerf'd as a pup.

Are you going to get his hips OFA and eyes CERF and have a health guarantee?

I hope that you are or will.

I ask because if you are not then you are not helping the breed.

What I can not stand is "backyard" breeding!!! :mad:

Period...

Greg

Fyi

Nick, my friend Tim at Iowa pointing labs has a litter on the ground now that will be ready in Jan, this is a extremely well bread litter and it would be worth you time to check it out. You can get on his web-site and read all about his stud dog Cal and the bitch Abby. Cal I know personaly and he has a tremendious amount of desire and Abby has a great solid point. I was thinking of gettting one myself the males are going to be $1000.

You might not want to waste time calling him because I know he has several of them spoken for. This is going to be a great breeding, Tim goes to Kansas City quite a bit because his trainer is near there. I have 2 pointing labs and love the breed and I have pretty good knowledge of the bloodlines and I had Cal's sister until last July when I lost her. Both Cal and his sister Luna are Labs on Crack they cover more ground then any Labs I have ever seen they cover ground like GSP you have to see Cal in action he's not like any pointing Lab you will ever see. Cal is a very sought after stud dog these days because everyone wants a lab that will cover ground like he does.

Back