Lab points hen!

amazing what happens when you breed a lab with an English Pointer

You've been on here for 2 years and 27 posts and you post stuff like this??? Wow

(keskam) I am confused, your first post says "my dogs point at 7 weeks", your second post says "they never think about pointing" I need a little clarification to continue this discussion.

(keskam) I am confused, your first post says "my dogs point at 7 weeks", your second post says "they never think about pointing" I need a little clarification to continue this discussion.

niceshot i have 9 labs, 6 point and have pointed since 7 weeks, and 3 flush, just different dogs.

The dogs(6) point have pointed since they were 7 weeks.
The dogs(3) that dont point have never even thought about it

Hope that helps.

Kevin

Last edited:
My 10 year old lab started pointing last year in SD when we really got into the birds-all hens that held in cover. He also points rabbits in the neighborhood-not bragging about that.

Hey Keskam, what breeders did you get your pointing labs from? Do you ever have one of your pointing labs and one of your flushing labs working with you at the same time? That's one of the things I thought about if I were to get a pointing lab when I have to retire my 10 year old. I've also got a 9 month old pup I'm training. I have them working together most of the time.

Regards,
Tom

I have 3 that flush and they dont even think about pointing, and they get hunted at the least 40 to 50 days a year, Wild and farm birds..

Rosco001.jpg

I don't have a dog in this fight... Just wanted to say that is an AWESOME photo! :thumbsup:

Thanks Toad, alot of times i let my kids do the shooting, and i just take the dogs, camera, or video..:)

My 10 year old lab started pointing last year in SD when we really got into the birds-all hens that held in cover. He also points rabbits in the neighborhood-not bragging about that.

Hey Keskam, what breeders did you get your pointing labs from? Do you ever have one of your pointing labs and one of your flushing labs working with you at the same time? That's one of the things I thought about if I were to get a pointing lab when I have to retire my 10 year old. I've also got a 9 month old pup I'm training. I have them working together most of the time.

Regards,
Tom

I work a couple of pointing labs together at a time, i do not work the flushers with the pointing labs because they learn that when they are on point there is a bird there and run in and steal the bird.

Pointing Lab

I have a year old male lab who pointed right out of the box. Much to my surprise. When I bought him he was reportedly out of dogs that would occasionally point. I didn't care one way or the other on the pointing,was more about the flushing and retrieving. He will back other dogs and hold unless I give him a flush command. I have hunted him on chukar and quail to train .We went to SD for pheasants last fall where he worked awesome. Making several nice points and backing some brits on some he didn't get to first. I guess I'm lucky he seems to be very natural. I've hunted him with my dads pointer and honors her also. He is very much about what I want.People look at me funny when they see Baxter and I say I don't duck hunt. He has a great nose and look forward to many hunts behind him busting birds and watching him work. OilnFeathers

Back