Lab guys sorry but....

It's technically just a different language. If someone says they had kielbasa for dinner, do you think they should have said sausage instead? There is a difference between DD and Wirehairs (all DDs are wirehairs but not all wirehairs are DD). And it matters to some.
Now the sausage/kielbasa thing is not even a fair comparison, totally different things flavors, colors. I can tell the difference between kielbasa and polish sausage by the taste, smell, color. The only way I could tell a difference between wirehairs and wirehairs trained under rules sent over from the fatherland is by checking their papers.

Now the sausage/kielbasa thing is not even a fair comparison, totally different things flavors, colors. I can tell the difference between kielbasa and polish sausage by the taste, smell, color. The only way I could tell a difference between wirehairs and wirehairs trained under rules sent over from the fatherland is by checking their papers.
But kielbasa is polish for sausage. A Kielbasa is a polish sausage.

Last comparison. American vs British lab. Is there a difference?

My point still stands - if you want to put wild pubic land birds in the vest then there is no doubt labs are gonna get it done way more than a pointer. Heck I've even seen some of them bros with pointers walkin around looking at a goddam gps while hunting. How stupid is that. Don't even know where the dog is.

1710941021446.png

Geez smasher. That might be a little aggressive.

For some reason, everyone thinks that their own dog is "the best." Its really no different than their boat, truck, or shotgun. Everyone has the best and everyone else's is inferior.

When in reality, none of these are as good as they may seem.

My point still stands - if you want to put wild pubic land birds in the vest then there is no doubt labs are gonna get it done way more than a pointer. Heck I've even seen some of them bros with pointers walkin around looking at a goddam gps while hunting. How stupid is that. Don't even know where the dog is.
But they do know where the dog is. Says right on the gps.

I somehow missed Mr. Schmucker referencing me in his piles of typed dumped mud. My sentiments on pointers is related to my father. Lab guy his entire life until he got older and couldn't maneuver through the field as well as he once had. His GWPs have been good to allow him to still hunt successfully.

I somehow missed Mr. Schmucker referencing me in his piles of typed dumped mud. My sentiments on pointers is related to my father. Lab guy his entire life until he got older and couldn't maneuver through the field as well as he once had. His GWPs have been good to allow him to still hunt successfully.
Id really like to know where he (and some others) are getting the sentiment that running pointers is an easy, lazy hunt. Just because we don't have to chase the dog all over the field because a bird can jump at any moment with a flusher?

I guess being able to let my dog cover ground is lazy. But at no time hunting wild birds do I feel confident in letting my dogs get out of gun range. Not because I don't trust them to hold a point for 10 minutes, but because I don't trust wild birds to hold for longer than a minute at most when pressured by a dog. Seen it happen enough times, so I'm always following the dog just like you flusher guys. Bonus for me is I get a few moments to collect myself before the flush instead of being surprised.

Id really like to know where he (and some others) are getting the sentiment that running pointers is an easy, lazy hunt. Just because we don't have to chase the dog all over the field because a bird can jump at any moment with a flusher?

I guess being able to let my dog cover ground is lazy. But at no time hunting wild birds do I feel confident in letting my dogs get out of gun range. Not because I don't trust them to hold a point for 10 minutes, but because I don't trust wild birds to hold for longer than a minute at most when pressured by a dog. Seen it happen enough times, so I'm always following the dog just like you flusher guys. Bonus for me is I get a few moments to collect myself before the flush instead of being surprised.
It's a really funny juxtaposition in this thread. Pointers make a hunt too easy but labs get more birds. How does that work? If a hunt is too easy, it means you got more birds.

But I think it's because pointers certainly can make a hunt very easy. Great trained dogs on not skiddish birds means you absolutely can let them run of and then just walk right to them and shoot what they find. But a lot of us don't hunt/train enough to have that extremely long point or more likely hunting public land birds that aren't holding. Which means you can have a terrible hunt if you aren't treating them similarly to flusher getting birdied and hussle up to the birds as you said.

One of the biggest reasons I like pointers on pheasant. I can let the dog work a piece of grass while I check out other spots. lets me work just as hard by dividing and conquering to get even more birds.

I've seen people post on here that they allow their pointers to run hundreds of yards ahead. To me that is mind bogging, and I've questioned it. In no way does that make me think that the hunter is lazy, I just find it very odd because I keep my dog within about 20 yards 90% of the time.

It's a really funny juxtaposition in this thread. Pointers make a hunt too easy but labs get more birds. How does that work? If a hunt is too easy, it means you got more birds.

But I think it's because pointers certainly can make a hunt very easy. Great trained dogs on TAME birds means you absolutely can let them run of and then just walk right to them and shoot what they find. But a lot of us don't hunt/train enough to have that extremely long point or more likely hunting public land birds that aren't holding. Which means you can have a terrible hunt if you aren't treating them similarly to flusher getting birdied and hussle up to the birds as you said.

One of the biggest reasons I like pointers on pheasant. I can let the dog work a piece of grass while I check out other spots. lets me work just as hard by dividing and conquering to get even more birds.

How many wild public land roodies did you put in the freezer last fall? I bet the flusher guys on hear got more.

I've seen people post on here that they allow their pointers to run hundreds of yards ahead. To me that is mind bogging, and I've questioned it. In no way does that make me think that the hunter is lazy, I just find it very odd because I keep my dog within about 20 yards 90% of the time.
When I first got a pointer after growing up on labs, that was by far the hardest thing do in the transition. Letting them past 20 yards felt like a sin because it normally means a ruined hunt with a flusher. I was calling my dog back every cast and it was horrible. Eventually got better about letting him do what he wanted (especially if he went really far to the side and not ahead). That's when you see how awesome it is. They run through ground 100+ yards away that you now don't have to go walk through and instead can go cover more ground elsewhere. And the true magic, when they lock up on point that far away. Just awesome.

How many wild public land roodies did you put in the freezer last fall? I bet the flusher guys on hear got more.
I could say 500 or I could say 1 and it wouldn't matter to you would it?

What I can tell you, I get about 2x the birds I did when I hunted with my dads labs. And this is when everyone is saying pheasant populations have been at it's lowest. So I think I'm doing something well.

Yeah it just depends on the situation. I've let mine go before but I've been burned enough times that I stay close and my dogs have learned 40-60 yards is max range for how I like to hunt.

My dogs also are multi species dogs, hunting Ruffed and sharp tailed grouse, woodcock, prairie chickens, quail and pheasants obviously. Each species sort of requires it's own range and how long they will hold.

Quail are great for pointing dogs because they hold so tight. Wild or not. Ruffies on the other hand, at least in my high pressured area, do not hold for points. So I keep my dogs close to me being the woods already shrinks everything up and if my dog finds a ruffie, it's not holding for more than a couple seconds unless it's opening weekend and it's a young bird.

Back