Lab guys sorry but....

This is the first time I think I've ever seen someone claim a versatile dog was too slow haha
haha, not speaking for him, but I think this is what he is getting at. At some point in time you as a hunter get old, out of shape, bad joints/soreness. Then you can get a pointer, turn them loose in the field and let them work. You slowly toodle around, get a beep on the gps, then leisurely take your time sauntering over to the point, flush the bird, and take your shot. So the hunt is too slow for him. I'll tell you this, hunting with a flusher can mean some running and huffing and puffing, but it's a whole lot of fun!

haha, not speaking for him, but I think this is what he is getting at. At some point in time you as a hunter get old, out of shape, bad joints/soreness. Then you can get a pointer, turn them loose in the field and let them work. You slowly toodle around, get a beep on the gps, then leisurely take your time sauntering over to the point, flush the bird, and take your shot. So the hunt is too slow for him. I'll tell you this, hunting with a flusher can mean some running and huffing and puffing, but it's a whole lot of fun!
Oh there's plenty of running behind a pointer haha them wild birds don't hold for those gorgeous points like you see in magazines.

I have 2 labs and a springer and after hunting with my buddies GSPs, setters, vislas, and griffons, I will not be getting a versatile dog until I'm too old to keep up with a flusher. It's just too boring. At some point, I understand you just get too slow to actually hunt, and I'm happy there's some breeds out there so you can still shoot birds after that happens, but for now I'm still able-bodied and like a bit of excitement. Plus, if you hunt pheasants in the midwest, a flushing dog just puts more birds in the bag.
You are entitled to your own opinions.
My opinion is judging by your statements you haven't hunted behind good versatile dogs.😉

Like Golden Shower says wired tiddy pointers are perfect for guys that are fat, unathletic or not very good shots. Seems like the pointer guys love to always talk bout dogwork but if you check out the guys whose dogs are exciting to watch and load up the vest with public land roodies time and time again then its the flushers that get it done. But some bros like brokebacking and steady stand and stare. Them bros also like other dueds.

Like Golden Shower says wired tiddy pointers are perfect for guys that are fat, unathletic or not very good shots. Seems like the pointer guys love to always talk bout dogwork but if you check out the guys whose dogs are exciting to watch and load up the vest with public land roodies time and time again then its the flushers that get it done. But some bros like brokebacking and steady stand and stare. Them bros also like other dueds.
Seems like the dogs that allow for their owners to be fat, unathletic, bad shots and still get birds, might just be the better dog.

Some of this seems to be written in strange code I'm unfamiliar with. But I'm pretty sure you just called pointer guys homosexuals. While I suppose that may be true in some instances, maybe even lots, I personally don't know any. Every pointer person I know goes for the opposite sex. At least at the moment they do.

Maybe someone should define the term "versatile." So is this a dog breed that can juggle, walk on 2 legs, and speak fluent Japanese in addition to hunting upland birds? Didn't realize there was such a need to be versatile.
Versatile breeds are breeds that point, retrieve on land and water and for most breeds also blood track. The history of most versatile breeds stems from commoners in Europe that needed a dog that could do everything. Compared to royalty that had one dog for each specific purpose.

There's a reason labs are called "Labrador Retrievers", they were bred for that intended purpose. Not saying they aren't capable of doing more, because they do. But it was their original purpose compared to versatile breeds who were bred to hunt everything from feathers to fur.

Maybe someone should define the term "versatile." So is this a dog breed that can juggle, walk on 2 legs, and speak fluent Japanese in addition to hunting upland birds? Didn't realize there was such a need to be versatile.
The fact that a dog fits somebody's hunting style the best, doesn't make it more versatile than another breed. Being recognized by NAVHDA (& therefore a pointer) doesn't make it more versatile. It's simply an organization containing the word "versatile". How can almost any hunting breed not be considered versatile? That I'm aware of, they can all be trained relatively easily to do almost anything, & it can be perfected through experience. Obviously, some have a strong suit or 2. But it sure seems like the main distinction is whether one is genetically predisposed to find game & stop & point it, or find game & pursue until it flies. But by the most basic definition of versatile, seems like a lab might just take the prize, whether a pointer or not. Seems like they're genetically predisposed to do the most things well & relatively easily trained.

Last edited:
Seems like the dogs that allow for their owners to be fat, unathletic, bad shots and still get birds, might just be the better dog.

Bwahahaha. Sure bro. Jump on YouTube and you tell me which dogs are bringing home the bacon. Hell, most of the pointer guys I seen hunt with multiple dogs as one can't get it done. Look around this forum and you can easily see that the flusher guys are killin way more birds.

But I got respect that you at least own up to the fat unathletic cant shoot nature of the typical pointer owner

Last edited:
Bwahahaha. Sure bro. Jump on YouTube and you tell me which dogs are bringing home the bacon. Hell, most of the pointer guys I seen hunt with multiple dogs as one can't get it done. Look around this forum and you can easily see that the flusher guys are killin way more birds.

But I got respect that you at least own up to the fat unathletic cant shoot nature of the typical pointer owner
Pretty sure the pittbull breeds bring home the bacon. I've never seen a lab out hog hunting.

Versatile breeds are breeds that point, retrieve on land and water and for most breeds also blood track. The history of most versatile breeds stems from commoners in Europe that needed a dog that could do everything.

I can't think of a single reason why I would need a dog that "did everything." I don't care about hunting rabbits, coons, bears, wild pigs, etc or anything else that has fur other than the occasional feral cat.

I need one who can find birds and retrieve them for about 10 days/year. That's it. The other 355 days/year they're a pet.

Having a mellow disposition and being obedient as a family member is way more important to me than hunting. I wouldn't tolerate anything less.

I can't think of a single reason why I would need a dog that "did everything." I don't care about hunting rabbits, coons, bears, wild pigs, etc or anything else that has fur other than the occasional feral cat.

I need one who can find birds and retrieve them for about 10 days/year That's it. The other 355 days/year they're a pet.

Having a mellow disposition and being obedient as a family member is way more important to me than hunting. I wouldn't tolerate anything less.
I think this is true for more people than who like to admit it. A family dog that "can" hunt is much better than an amazing hunter who sucks in the house.

But breeds have very wide ranges and many overlap with other breeds on those qualities. It's why selecting a breeder that matches your style is more important than which specific breed you want.

So to refute a few I'll informed members.
I have seen more fat hunters with fat labs then any other pairing.
Versatiles can do multiple tasks including hog hunting.
Like someone said look for the breeder/breeding you want.
I and my friends hunt with multiple dogs on the ground not because we need to but because we can. Seeing 7 dogs on point at one time is a memorable experience.

And last but not least LABS are fine dogs.

I sense some frustration and maybe some projection going on here..

Back