Lab does not hunt

Just a thought. You know your dog better than I. Seen many dogs ruined with shock collar. I would never shock my dog around birds.

Its tough to teach something that isn't genetically there.

Your issue is two fold, she doesn't 'hunt' and when there is action she wants to go blow it up.

I can handle a dog that doesn't hunt, I can't stand a dog that hinders my ability for my good dog to work or someone else to get a shot.

I feel even basic obedience would make this dog palatable to the other hunters (even as simple as a sit on a whistle). Does your uncle do any type of basic obedience with the dog? I'm guessing this dog has never seen a check cord.

If you think the dog has potential and you want to work, I suggest not running her in the field but start with basic puppy training that it appears she lacks. Your going to spend 10x the time that you would have at 6 months but if you think it'll be worth it, I would encourage you to put in the time

Last edited:
Could it be that the dog never gets out in the field until hunting season? I've seen dogs that never run around on anything other than a mown lawn. They aren't comfortable having the cover slapping them in the face, etc. I had a brother whose golden was this way. A real boot licker, but once in a while it would get scent and get excited enough to run out to hunt, then back to licking his boots again. It's never too early to get a pup used to field conditions.

Back