L.C. Smith Feild

Caleb Frank

Does anyone know what year this L.C. Smith Feild was made. It has I.C. and Mod. Chokes. 26 inch barrels. And the serial number is S16379.

Also, some places I hunt requires non toxic shot. Would steel be ok to shoot through it? I've heard that most older guns can't but is that because they ussaly have tighter chokes or is the steel of the barrel softer than the shot causing the shot to scratch the barrel as it goes down it? If not what bismuth shot would you recommend? Or is there any other non toxic shot type that you would recommend? Preferably something not super expensive. But all I've found is kent bismuth which is still $48.00. Is reloading (minus the Intial cost for tools) cheaper? 20240526_212850.jpg20240526_212922.jpg20240526_213111.jpg20240526_213244.jpg

On the serialization# chart I found, I believe it was built 1918-1919. Definitely do not shoot steel out of it as you might bulge the barrels. You should be safe with Bismuth.

You can get bismuth for under 40.00 a box case price.
Rogers has kents right now for under that. They've also got winchesters 1 3/8 loads at 450.00 That are real thumpers I guess. 3 inch shells, probably not the best for the lc.
They have a rewards program that if you signed up youd get 50 bucks off on your second order. Free shipping over 99.

Welcome to the world of Elsie's! Your gun was made in 1919. It is a good example of a typical Field grade out and about right now. DO NOT shoot steel through it. I would suggest you order some shells from Boss. I shoot them in my Elsie's and have had great success. You will want to keep the pressures down due to the age of the wood and thin headstock. I would suggest their 1oz load of #5. If you are shooting lead, I would point you to RST or similar with low pressure loads. I shoot their paper hull 1oz load of #6 and it hits pheasants like the Hammer of Thor! I shoot both of these loads out of my 1944 16ga Field and my 1905 00 Grade 12ga. I hope this helps.

1716915439537.png 1716915477567.png

I didn’t notice earlier but the Roger’s Kent’s are 3 inch shells too.
I bought some 2 3/4 inch Kent’s a while back that I cut one open and they weighed closer to an ounce and 1/8 . Presleys outdoors last I looked they still had some.
If lc says go with boss stingers that what I would do.

The 16ga is on the left and the 12ga is on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_3380.jpeg
    IMG_3380.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
Alls I can tell you is brown dog sniffs out the best ammo deals. I still owe him some coors for the great deal he bird dogged for me last winter. Got a case of #4 Kent's for a song, thanks brother!

Alls I can tell you is brown dog sniffs out the best ammo deals. I still owe him some coors for the great deal he bird dogged for me last winter. Got a case of #4 Kent's for a song, thanks brother!
lol Bob.
You missed the deal of the century a while back. I found some Fiocchi bismuth 10 packs for 12 something a box in 2s or 6s . 13 dollar flat rate shipping so I had to buy some other shells I didn’t really need with to make it worth it😆
Oh well it’s an election year
I bought 6 boxes of the of the 2s. If they don’t throw a pheasant pattern I’ll gift them off to my goose hunting cousin

Frank,

The barrels on your shotgun would normally take 2 1/2 inch shells not the 2 3/4" most modern guns are tooled for. I have a couple of the pre 1930 LC Smith side by sides and they are very fine guns, but they were made for black powder shot shells not the Nitro Powder Shot Shells that our modern ammo is constructed by. RTS Shells make the proper shells for you old LC Smith check them out online.

Frank,

The barrels on your shotgun would normally take 2 1/2 inch shells not the 2 3/4" most modern guns are tooled for. I have a couple of the pre 1930 LC Smith side by sides and they are very fine guns, but they were made for black powder shot shells not the Nitro Powder Shot Shells that our modern ammo is constructed by. RTS Shells make the proper shells for you old LC Smith check them out online.
OR,

His Field was never chambered for 2 1/2" shells. Those post 1913 guns were all 2 3/4" chambers. His gun will shoot 2 1/2" shells just fine, I shoot the RST flavor in mine, but it would have been chambered for 2 3/4". If you have a pre-1913 for black powder, it must be a really early gun. My 1905 is nitro proofed. Even the twist/Damascus barrels were proofed for nitro in the early days, but those are to be verified with each barrel. The old Elsie's are super cool guns. A letter from the LC Smith Collectors would be a good place to start with confirmation of each gun. Now, there are a few years where serial numbers are missing due to lost records.

LC, thank you for your response it is nice to have some expert background on the old side by sides. I didn't realize that the pre-1930 models were nitro proofed. I have a beautiful 1921 field grade with 85-90% case hardening color intact that I was reluctant to shoot because of its age.

OR,

This is a typical research letter you would get from the Association. It is the letter for my 1905 00 grade. While this gun is the lowest grade, you can see a significant difference in the quality of the wood from 1905 vs. the 1940's. The case colors are 100% original. The previous owner did a little refinish work on the stock, but it is not bad. It is a bit glossy for original, but I am ok with it because I use it to hunt upland and waterfowl. It is a beast on the trap field! In further researching this gun with other LC folks, the gentleman that ordered it may have actually used it as a live pigeon gun based on the configuration. It is really heavy because the barrels are pretty thick.

Attachments

• LC1.jpg
    LC1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 9
  • LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 7
  • LC3.jpg
    LC3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Letter.jpg
    Letter.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
I have a couple of photos of my LC Smith first picture is the gun on the bottom, second picture it's the one on the top. I purchased it from a lady that was looking to get rid of her late husband's shotguns and that was the only one that I had an interest in. The condition is very good for its age but not as nice as the one you have photos of. Thanks again for all of the good feedback, I love old side by sides, and I shoot a Spanish made double barrel as my main pheasant & quail gun.

Attachments

• PXL_20211028_231255847.jpg
    PXL_20211028_231255847.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20211028_231323751.jpg
    PXL_20211028_231323751.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
I have a couple of photos of my LC Smith first picture is the gun on the bottom, second picture it's the one on the top. I purchased it from a lady that was looking to get rid of her late husband's shotguns and that was the only one that I had an interest in. The condition is very good for its age but not as nice as the one you have photos of. Thanks again for all of the good feedback, I love old side by sides, and I shoot a Spanish made double barrel as my main pheasant & quail gun.
That old Remington is really nice as well.

Back