Kuiu brush or orvis tough shells

20super90

Hello everyone. As season gets closer. I got to checking out my gear and my orvis tough shells from 3 years ago arnt gonna make it another season. These are the old style with orange paracord string on zippers. I'm curious if anyone has the kuiu pro brush pants and how they like em? Noisey?? Also anyone have the new updated orvis tough shell pants??? Are they worth the $100 mark up in price ?

Myself and a couple guys I hunt with all have the Orvis Pro LT hunting pants and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are a bit spendy at around $180-200 but I have had my first pair for 3 years now and they look like they can easily go another 5-7 years without issue.

Hello everyone. As season gets closer. I got to checking out my gear and my orvis tough shells from 3 years ago arnt gonna make it another season. These are the old style with orange paracord string on zippers. I'm curious if anyone has the kuiu pro brush pants and how they like em? Noisey?? Also anyone have the new updated orvis tough shell pants??? Are they worth the $100 mark up in price ?
I recently got a new pair of the Kuiu pants as a replacement for my Cabela's waterproof pants. I have not hunted with them, yet. They are super comfortable when wearing them around the house to get a feel for them.

I just bought a pair of Duluth Trading Co briar pants. I was so impressed I bought two more. Two in the size that fit and one larger to wear in colder weather to allow for long underwear. $100 But oddly enough when I bought the third pair online two weeks ago they were $65. Not waterproof but otherwise very tough, slightly flexible and the incredible gusseted crotch! Better than the Jean brush pants style I have been wearing for 25 years. Some day I may spring for something waterproof

It's going a slightly different direction but I love my Dan's Hunting Gear Chaps. Easy on, waterproof, heavy duty, economical.

I was hunting with a buddy who rocked the Kuiu brush pants. He really liked them. We were after sharpies, so easy cover, but he planned to hunt phez with them too. I personally have the Orvis tough shells, and will buy them again. To my feel, the orvis are a much, much tougher pant. In really nasty phez cover and in the desert, I want the protection.

The orvis are overpriced, and like yours, mine only last a few years. But I like them.

I love the Pro LT pants as well. Last year I found a pair on some random fly fishing store's website for $90. They were a steal at that price. I am needing a heavier pair of pants as well. I am going back and forth between the Pyke Dakotas and the Orvis Tough Shells. Both are over-priced. I hate buying anything that is new on the market, so I will probably go with the Dakotas, unless I can find last years Tough Shells at a reduced price.

I had the Orvis ToughShell Pants for a couple seasons and put many many miles on in them.. They started to become less and less waterproof so I finally called Orvis Customer Service. After 2 seasons of heavy usage they allowed me to return my pants for a full refund and put the money towards a pair of the new Orvis Pro ToughShell Pants. While they ended up being $80 more, I can't complain about $80 for a brand new pair of pants that in theory should be great.

Last edited:
Guys thanks for all the reviews... ended up going with the new tough shells.. the old ones proved them selves to Mr. Hard to go away from them.... kuiu. Looked legit but looked loud to me. I'll come back here after the first month and do a review on the tough shells. Til then. Good luck gents

Attachments

• Snapchat-2014269713.jpg
    Snapchat-2014269713.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
I just spent three solid days in SD wearing the new Kuiu Pro Brush pants. Incredible is my position. They were perfectly comfortable. They didn’t let a single thing stick to them. They are a great design.

So I just had to retire an old pair of Carhart pants with the cordura front that i used as my hunting pants for at least 10+ years. Side seam finally gave way so been looking for pants.

Not easy to find in a pretty normal size! Almost every brand is unavailable. I found a pair of Dan's in the correct size and noticed one thing before I ordered them. The cordura fronting does not stop mid thigh but actually goes up the entire front of the pants and covers the satchel. Why no one else seems to do this has always made me wonder.

Got the pants Thurs and wore them Fri. Impressed. Triple seams, rivets not one prick in the prickly areas. Flap back pockets. Less than half of what Filson's would have been. Very happy so far.

My lovely wife ended up getting me the KUIU Pro Brush pant for Christmas. Against my better judgement, I decided to try them out down here in Arizona.

Pro's: Super comfortable. A more athletic fit, less material to get snagged when crossing barbed wire! Good venting options for when it gets warm. The keepers sewed into the bottom of the pant are awesome! They hook onto you boot lace (kind of like on some waders) and keep your pants down. This will be great when I'm post-holing in snow. They are way tougher than they have any right to be, whatever lightweight material they are made of keeps 95% of the terrible Arizona brush from hitting skin.

Con's: Still too expensive, but that seems to be life nowadays. I did get a small rip after about 10 days of brutalizing them in miserable desert brush. I think they will stand up to ANY midwest pheasant brush. They really show wear, but who cares? I like them much more than the Orvis pants.

PXL_20240121_231719045.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20240121_231648510.NIGHT.jpg

A friend that grouse hunts very seriously in NW WI covers all the tears in his hunting pants with duct tape. In just a year, he looks like the tin man from OZ. If you’re not bleeding, you’re not chasing partridge.

My lovely wife ended up getting me the KUIU Pro Brush pant for Christmas. Against my better judgement, I decided to try them out down here in Arizona.

Pro's: Super comfortable. A more athletic fit, less material to get snagged when crossing barbed wire! Good venting options for when it gets warm. The keepers sewed into the bottom of the pant are awesome! They hook onto you boot lace (kind of like on some waders) and keep your pants down. This will be great when I'm post-holing in snow. They are way tougher than they have any right to be, whatever lightweight material they are made of keeps 95% of the terrible Arizona brush from hitting skin.

Con's: Still too expensive, but that seems to be life nowadays. I did get a small rip after about 10 days of brutalizing them in miserable desert brush. I think they will stand up to ANY midwest pheasant brush. They really show wear, but who cares? I like them much more than the Orvis pants.

View attachment 7406View attachment 7407
Where are the blood stains? LOL

Back