KPaW GPS Setting

jdunn01

Anyone figure out how to enter the Kansas Parks and Wildlife GPS settings for the WIHA?

For Example

Map 25 TRact 111 X_NAD: -100.8589876 Y_NAD 37.02894811

How do i translate that into my Garmin that is looking for N XX (degree Symbol) XX.XXX
W XXX (degree symbol) XX.XXX

Any help appreciated

Longitude= -101.978754 Latitude= 39.88338294
these are the numbers from one of the WIHA waypoints in Cheyenne County. If you download all of them in the file on the KDWP website and then name the columns appropriately you can then import them all instantly.

I have found it easiest to give each waypoint a name such as 19-43 which indicates tract 43 on map 19. I use Excel to do the naming then that file will import directly with the new name I assigned to the waypoint. This is a tremendous time saver.

FYI: the NAD term refers to the "North American Datum" set which is typically defaulted to NAD83/WGS84 on the Garmin units so all you have to do is make sure the coordinates are entered in the format above. DO NOT switch the settings on your Garmin to use NAD27 or you will find the locations all shifted to the wrong location.

What ever happened to a good old map and compass...:p :D

My cousin who owns a GIS company was able to convert the coordinates from a text file to a waypoint file. I was then able to import it into my mapsource software (software for Garmin). It numbered them funny, and gave me all 2000+ points, but I have them now. I saved certain ones specific to the area I was hunting in a different file, and then downloaded them into my GPS. I now have all walk ins for the north west portion of the state downloaded into my GPS. We'll see how it works this weekend.

If you want a copy of the file, shoot me a PM with your email address and 'll send it to you. I tried attaching the file to the forum, but it wouldn't let me.

Anyone figure out how to enter the Kansas Parks and Wildlife GPS settings for the WIHA?

For Example

Map 25 TRact 111 X_NAD: -100.8589876 Y_NAD 37.02894811

How do i translate that into my Garmin that is looking for N XX (degree Symbol) XX.XXX
W XXX (degree symbol) XX.XXX

Any help appreciated

In case you may still need this.....

Your Garmin can display the Lat/Long coordinates in several different formats. Degrees.Minutes.Seconds or Degrees.Minutes.Fractions of Minutes (=Degrees.Minutes.Minutes) or Degrees.Fractions of Degrees (=Degrees.Degrees). The WIA data is in Degrees.Fractions of Degrees (=Degrees.Degrees), so you need to go in to your Garmin's system / setup / units menu and change that to Degrees.Degrees. Then, you can either plug the coordinates in manually or upload them from a spreadsheet. To enter a coordinate manually, just create a waypoint and edit the coordinates to be that of the WIA area.

Hope that helps...

Back