Know how to get a dog out of a trap?????

FCSpringer

That little trapping adventure I have going made me remember the story of a guy that had his bird dog caught in a 220 conibear trap this fall. He did not know what the heck to do, understandably so. He watched his dog choke to death. This put a bad name on trappers., Undeservedly so. Trappers are very important to the whole predator thing and I wish more were out there, but the fur market is non existent so traps are hanging in garages. Take the time to learn how to get a dog out of a conibear trap, it might be worth your while some day.
Trappers are gifted at placing traps where they will not catch dogs for the most part. There success is important to them and catching dogs is not on the list. It is very rare for a dog to be caught in a conibear trap, they are set mainly for raccoon so the places we tend to hunt are typicaly not the same area. We as bird hunters are more likely to run in to a foot hold trap which are easily removed. A conibear trap is complicated, but can be removed if you are familiar how to. If not it is a death trap designed to kill by choking. There fore it will kill a dog if not removed rather quickly.

Last edited:
Yeah F.C. they are mean and unforgiving. Used them a lot on Beaver.

Here is a good resource that talks about a variety of traps and how to remove them including the dreaded conibear.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/doc/PetOwners.pdf

I was hoping that my 500th post would have been one of my more characteristic post filled with sarcasm and dry humor instead it had to be something that was actually constructive and useful, I guy just can't win.

Last edited:
Let me help,

"Aren't you sweet":p "NOT"
Nice find on that though, glad you put it up, saves me a bunch of spell check and hrs of typing. Plus I don't know how to put a strap on a conibear and take my picture at the same time. Would most likely spill my beverage and catch myself in the process.:thumbsup: Not sure if I would use the dog for a example like the other one we discussed.

This info is great, but you need to go to a fleet supply or something too and just buy one of these things. Take it home and practice what moellermd put up here a bit to be good at it. It is a confusing trap, and that is the biggest reason people will have a problem with them, Kind of like my multi quoting

Last edited:
IMO all responsible owners of hunting dogs should study and know how to remove their dog from a trap. We all share the same woods and fields (at least on public land). I always carry a piece of rope in case I need it to remove a larger conibear. A leash works also, but it's a little more clumsy IMO since it's typically longer than necessary. The link above shows how it's done. The only thing I'd add is that IMO it's typically a good idea to rotate the conibear 90 degrees on the dog's head to the sides of the neck if it's across the throat to start. Helps to keep the pressure off the windpipe.

I have had my run in with traps usually placed by the novice trapper but either way still good for a good scare, thankfully I have been lucky thus far and hope that my luck continues. I understand the need for trappers I just wish that all followed the same guidelines and did so responsibly. The best thing you can do if your dog is caught in a trap is to remain calm since for the most part your dog will feed of your energy. The link provided earlier was a good link and everyone should become familiar with the kinds of traps listed there. I think that the snare is by far the worst for a bird dog since they are typically running quite fast and sinch it quite tight. Being prepared for anything afield is crutial for your dogs safety.

All true. I think many states snairs are illegal, but good point. Actualy running into a trap is rare. I have been out there even with coon hounds and birdogs for God, over 30 years, never ran into one. Like I said it is rare, but some of us will find one some day. Education and practice is the key to getting the dog out. I hope this never happens to another dog.

I know the fellow FC mentioned who watched his young lab die in his arms. He was a hunter, does understand traps, but just could not get it off in time.

In my experience it is often not all that easy with a cool head and knowldge of what you are doing or otherwise. You don't have much time and the dogs themselves don't always make it easy. I know one very large strong fellow who lost his big yellow lab in one..and he himself was a proficient trapper. His lab bit him, very badly--while he was trying to compress the springs. Watched it die right in front of him.

I won't get into it but there are some who say it's not necessary. MN is one of a handful of states that allows larger conibears (e.g. 160's, 220's) to be set on land in a set that can catch dogs. There are ways to prevent the problem for responsible trappers at least--require them to be in a water set, up in the air, or inside a cubby deep enough a dog can't get it's head in to be caught.

Back