Killer traps

TGM

This morning I hunted a large SD WPA. I was parked at the end of a 1 mile dead end road that ran along its border. I had good luck and was back at the truck early enjoying the scenery when a truck pulled up. He rolled his window down and said he has “killer traps” set in the culverts along this road and if my dog stuck his head in one it would be all over. I tried to get more info but he was not in the mood. I did get that there were 2 locations. I thanked him and he was gone. I know about traps but never experienced one. I try to keep the dog away from culverts but man did it kill the good mood knowing we probably just walked right by these land mines.

I’m guessing they are large conibears that would trap a dog’s head and pinch off their windpipe. Probably not much time to get them out. My stomach turns thinking about it. Be careful out there, carry a rope and watch a youtube video on releasing them.

Makes my blood boil. I have nothing against trappers, but had one of our labs caught in one of those years ago in Iowa. On the outside of a culvert, not marked - trap had no identification- very likely a good thing - unacceptable. Ruby still hunted but had permanent damage to her shoulder. Got that f’n conibear off, surely was adrenaline that did it.

Immediately ordered two sets of these, based on the posts above - They arrived today! That's impressive!! Already packed in the vest - along with my C-7 wire cutters, also complements of last falls' posts on snares............ Very appreciative of the informative posts on this site, & to the Minnesota Trappers Assoc. Thanks guys!!!

Attachments

• SD Trap Release Kit.jpg
    SD Trap Release Kit.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 19
Immediately ordered two sets of these, based on the posts above - They arrived today! That's impressive!! Already packed in the vest - along with my C-7 wire cutters, also complements of last falls' posts on snares............ Very appreciative of the informative posts on this site, & to the Minnesota Trappers Assoc. Thanks guys!!!
Where do you get C-7 wire cutters?

Here's some more good info from ID Game & Fish: https://idfg.idaho.gov/old-web/docs/hunt/TrappedPetBrochure.pdf

And:

You can buy a specially made tool that is purpose-built to release conibear traps: https://www.southernsnares.com/products/trapper-rons?variant=42124933838 and they come in different sizes. I've never personally used the tool but have one in each size in my vest just in case. After watching several videos, the tool seems easier to use than the rope or leash as shown in the IDF&G video. Here's a video on the use of the tool:

I actually ordered mine from: https://www.murrayslures.com/Body-Grip-Safety-Setter-p/ms604.htm because I could get both sizes for a discount.

Not assoicated or affiliated with any of these companies, BTW.

Reactions: TGM
This morning I hunted a large SD WPA. I was parked at the end of a 1 mile dead end road that ran along its border. I had good luck and was back at the truck early enjoying the scenery when a truck pulled up. He rolled his window down and said he has “killer traps” set in the culverts along this road and if my dog stuck his head in one it would be all over. I tried to get more info but he was not in the mood. I did get that there were 2 locations. I thanked him and he was gone. I know about traps but never experienced one. I try to keep the dog away from culverts but man did it kill the good mood knowing we probably just walked right by these land mines.

I’m guessing they are large conibears that would trap a dog’s head and pinch off their windpipe. Probably not much time to get them out. My stomach turns thinking about it. Be careful out there, carry a rope and watch a youtube video on releasing them.
Can you show me what a culvert looks like that you are talking about? I am from out of state and I want to know what I should be looking out for.
Thanks

The zip ties would work, but beware, the eyes of conibear have gaps that a zip tie could slip through and there's no way for a do over.

As an alternative, look at what's called a conibear Safety Setter. There is a Trapper Ron's, and another brand. Look to Y-tube for videos on how to use. These safety setters are very compact...I carry two in my vest. They're so compact you could carry two in a pants pocket. Check these and the zip-ties and decide which one you'd prefer.

Why would anyone set these at a public hunting area?
Because they can and they're legal. As long as they're placed properly and identified, a licensed trapper can set traps in locations where they think they will catch their target. Its really no different than you hunting in a location where you think you can shoot your target.

I personally would never set a trap in a location where I thought someone's hunting dog might get trapped. But then again, I'm not a trapper. My dog getting trapped in a 330 conibear and having her windpipe slowly shut down is definitely one of the worst things that could happen to me. That would give me PTSD for a long time. Be safe out there. If you know there are traps in an area, I would personally just avoid that area completely. No rooster is worth that.

Last edited:
I haven’t bought any of the tools yet but watched a couple videos on how to set and remove game from various traps. I’m gonna go to the store too and put my hands on them. Being calm and sound judgement in an intense situation is priceless.

Back