Kepa Iowa 2021

Kevin W

A couple weeks ago I posted below about a leg / foot condition that had me off of work (Dr's orders) and me questioning the Iowa pheasant season and if I'd be able to partake. I posted a week ago I was back to work and progressing, enough so that this morning I ventured out with Kepa. I went solo for a couple of reasons, 1) just in case I couldn't go after waking up this morning or 2) not being able to hunt very long if my leg / foot couldn't take it.
Knowing reason #2 was a distinct possibility I decided to not make the 1.5 hr drive north to the beautiful public hunting grounds I experienced last season and stayed close to Sioux City. I tried a public spot first and found out pretty quickly I can't handle a public land hunt. The uneven ground and thick cover was just too much, so I had to resort to road hunting. I know road hunting is not ideal for some but with good dog control and the right ditches that are away from farm houses and livestock the short walk hunts may be the only way I can get out right now.
Kepa and I started out at a small public spot that has two ways to walk in, the first has a steep bank to climb and is typically the best as the pheasants can't see you coming and the pheasants are usually in this spot. The second is an access road where everything in there can see you coming, but sometimes works depending on where the pheasants are on the property. I quickly realized I couldn't traverse the steep bank and went around to the other entrance. There were pheasants there too, unfortunately they were able to see Kepa and I heading their way and a couple dozen pheasants flushed early and flew into the standing corn.
So Kepa and I loaded up and when into road hunt mode, the first nice looking ditch (both sides) didn't produce any pheasants. I bit later I spotted a rooster in the ditch at a gravel and blacktop intersection. THis blacktop is pretty busy so I got out and flushed the rooster to see if he would go down the gravel road a ways and land in its ditch farther down away from the black top. Which is exactly what the rooster did. I did a quick turn around and got Kepa out about 100 yards shy of where he landed in the ditch. Kepa worked the ditch and right about where I figured he landed he came up cackling and one shot was all I needed. Kepa made a nice retrieve and we were on the board.
The second encounter of the day was about an hour later and is a beautiful stretch of minimum maintenance road. Kepa and I didn't have to walk far at all before she got really birdy and a hen jumped. Kepa froze and watched the hen sail out of there and resumed the hunt still birdy as heck. This is when all hell breaks loose and I can't honestly say how many pheasants there were exploding out of the ditch in front of me. I do know one rooster was making a hasty retreat going hard to my left and it took two shots to bring him down and as all this was occurring another rooster makes a break for it going hard right. I swing over that way and fold him up with one shot. I was extremely happy for a moment until I realized the rooster Kepa was after was a runner. Ir took Kepa few minutes but she found the rooster ands made the retrieve. Now on too the second rooster, after looking and looking Kepa and I couldn't find him. We took a break and went back to the Bronco where I gave Kepa some water and something to eat. We went back to the spot and searched down wind and searched an hour more. We just couldn't come up with it.
I (like McFarmer does) count a lost rooster as part of my limit and with that we were done for today. So here's a couple of pics from todayKepa Iowa opener 2021.jpg
Kepa Iowa opener 2021 pic2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey that’s great to hear. Pheasants can be hunted many ways and the way you did it is a good way for a single hunter to enjoy the sport. Many times when I was coming home from school I would walk a mile of ditches and get an hour or so of hunting in.

Kepa is looking very fit, glad to hear you both are getting out. When you feel like a little more work, send me a note.

Fantastic! I’m glad to hear that the pheasants are still on the upswing in Iowa. I’m supposed to join a farmer buddy up around Carroll in December at some point.

Our season here in Kansas starts in a couple of weeks, and to say “I can’t wait” would be quite the understatement!

Kepa is a beautiful dog by the way. She looks great!

Glad to see you made it out and are getting past the problem. I've had similar issues and left you a suggestion in the other forum where you discussed your leg and knee problems. I'm looking forward to our annual trip and might need to try some of the same strategies as well. Thanks for the pictures and ideas.

Thanks SWT, I am getting a bit better with each passing day. I'm still not ready for the thick public fields the Lakes area has though so today Kepa and I went north of Sioux City (about 30 minutes) to LeMars and road hunted our way back. It was a morning hunt and we had a good time with 5 separate hen flushes, one rooster flush / in the bag and a pair of partridge seen as close to Sioux City as I've ever seen them.
No pics today, the rooster was spotted running from one ditch across the road to the other. Thankfully the cover was thick and the ditch was deep so the rooster felt safe to stay put while I pulled over and got Kepa out. Kepa was quick to catch the scent and put the rooster up, one shot was all I needed and Kepa made the retrieve. At the shot another rooster flushed out of range and Kepa was able to flush a couple of hens a bit further down the ditch as well.

The partridge I saw were a total surprise, I pulled into a field entrance to turn around and flushed them right in front of the vehicle. While those two were long gone I got Kepa out to search the ditch for more but Kepa said there were no more only scent from the two the already flew away!!! Only seeing two struck me as odd, while I have not seen partridge a lot, when I have I've seen them they have been in coveys of at least 5 or so. Ahhhhh but not today!!! Knowing there were only two, they are safe from me I wouldn't shoot just one and Lord knows a double on partridge for me would be a modern day miracle anyway.

I think Kepa and I walked about 10, maybe 11 ditches today and flushed pheasants out of three. So I for one am not seeing the numbers of birds some guys are but my area isn't exactly known for high bird #'s either. My luck with private continues, I asked at 2 farms today (they each had nice waterways winding through picked corn fields. I figure if I could get permission on a few of those the walking would be doable in the picked corn rows and Kepa could work the cover.) At both farms the guys were nice but said no. I typically don't like asking on Sunday mornings though, my thinking is it may be the only day the farmer takes a break but I stopped at each of these because I saw someone out in the yard as I drove by so I decided to turn around and give them a try.

Last edited:
Nice you got out and found birds. Glad you are on the mend. Crops are getting harvested, birds should get easier to find every week that goes by.

Back