Kent Bismuth

Bob Peters

I tried some this past weekend, it worked really good. In my research the two brands of bismuth I've decided on are Kent and Boss. I had a bunch of boss in 5s, I just picked up the Kent because it was #4 and that's what I like best in "bismooth" as my buddy calls it. If I have any updates as I continue to shoot it I'll post here.

What i didnt like about Kent Bismuth was the fragmenting in the bird. With the cooper coating that boss uses that seems to eliminate the fragmentation.

Some of you have heard this before. I've shot Kent #5 for years, mostly happily, except at longer ranges (say 40+). Kent doesn't do #4 in 16 gauge, so I've been trying BOSS #4 now for a little over a month. They do really well, at least in MY gun. I've still had SOME pellet fracturing with the copper plated shot, but not as much as with unplated bismuth. Based on many years of experience with bismuth, I can convince myself pretty easily that fracturing is both a good & a bad thing. The short story is bismuth kills well if you put big enough pellets in the right place at the right time.

Kent is fine, but Boss is cheaper.
Not sure what you paid, but two years ago I paid $1.30/ea for Kent. Just checked same vendor a couple weeks ago, it's now $2/ea. Also bought some Boss 16ga, #4's last year (everyone shot #4's when I was young), and they may be cheaper than Kent now. May have to cash-in the change jar and buy some more Boss this spring.

I've seen a lot of fragmented pellets in boss shot. It doesn't really bother me if I recover the bird. I think fragmentation is a result of chemistry, i.e. bismuth is brittle. I just did a two minute web search and found some Kent cheaper than boss.

I am going to try the Boss offering next weekend on my trip to SD. I bought some in 12 and 16.

Kent upgraded their bismuth several years ago, it has new chemistry. It is less likely to fracture than the competition. That said other mfg. may have moved to the new alloy, I can’t say?

Back