Keeping a dog warm during the cold season

T

The Cackler

Got a question for anyone who may be able to help:

I had an English Setter for the last 12 years and had to put him down in August. I then picked up a 2 year old Shorthair. I have hunted behind GSP's before but never owned one. My setter had (and my GSP now has) and outdoor kennel that has a dog door going into the garage (insulated).

I cannot use blankets, rugs, etc. in the doghouse (located inside the garage) as he will chew it to shreds in no time. What I have done is strung a radiant heat lamp, similar to the food warming lights used in restaurants, about 4 feet above his doghouse.

This lamp runs off a 24 hour timer where I set it to run more at night than during the day, like on for an hour and of for a 1/2 hour. Is this enough or do I need to do additional? It has been fairly mild so far as we have only had one or two nights below zero. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

My grandmother kept her dogs outside (over the years included a lab, a dalmation, a collie, terriors) all the time using a clamp-on work lamp and some straw for bedding in an oversized dog house. Just be sure the lamp is located so the straw cannot contact it or it is not so hot that it will ignite the straw.

The lamp currently is suspended from the ceiling about 4.5-5 feet high off the ground. I adjusted the height to make sure not only was it away from the dog, but still radiated enough heat at ground level to feel comfortable.

Heat lamps work great. Get some straw and load up the dog house with it. you might want to get a small piece of wood to place across the bottom of the doorway to help keep the straw in. The dog will bed down and push the straw in front of the door. Make sure the dog house door doesn't face north either, that way the cold air doesn't blow straight in.

Back