Kansas quail trip

Side-by-side

I've never been to Kansas and was going to plan a trip. Is Downs Kansas a good area to get my feet wet? Looking for quail mainly. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Quail do well where there is a mix of crop and native grass even just native grass . The Flinthills region and Smoky hills region are a good start . You would have a chance of pheasants if you were in the Smokies .

I've been close to the area but have not hunted there - you'll be fine. Hit up the right spots and you can find prairie chickens as well.

Thanks for the replies guys. What would be better to come out the first or second week of the season? Also, how is the ice storm out there?

If your not hunting private land I'd wait until about the 10th of Dec. The weather usually is better. A lot of people have given up for the year and most of the rest have stayed away during deer season. Deer season runs the weds. after thanksgiving and goes through the following two weekends. If I could only hunt twice a year it would be Dec10 and during the first week in Jan.

i hunt around that area once or twice a year. private ground mostly. we tend to see quit a few hunters moving around from wiha to wiha or even the lake ground.(not trying to discourage you by any means). but it has become a popular area the last couple years. mixed bag area compared to other areas of the state, just have to find the right pieces of ground. the right cover and feed youll find birds.

Back