Kansas Pheasant Harvest for 2015-2016

Does anyone know the estimates for how many pheasants and qual were harvested this last season? probably better, maybe just right below average i say..any estimates? Or official estimates

I've not seen any numbers (I've not looked hard either), but I am going to say that the harvest was well-below average. My only reasoning for this is the lack of hunters ... Because of the horrible years of bird numbers, I think many bird hunters stopped going hunting and a year that was, generally below average from a numbers standpoint, is not likely to get them to dust off their shotguns. This is pure and unadulterated speculation, however.

I would say numbers are coming back still a ways off what I would call a normal/average year. By my own method of comparison we harvested 45 pheasants last season and on normal years we'll harvest 100-150 birds and on good years 200 plus. Bear in mind this is done on private ground. Quail on the other hand has rebounded much better we harvested 70 last season mostly while hunting pheasants over labs. Could have had much better success hunting with pointing dogs and concentrating solely on quail.

Why is the state of KS so mum about harvest numbers? Other states data is pretty easy to find.

Probably because if people knew how few of pheasants were actually taken, it might cut down on the amount of out of state people that come here to drop all their coin to chase them

Thank you for the survey report. Looks like the pheasant numbers are less than many had thought for this past season.

The harvest estimates were less then we hoped for but participation was still lower then what we have seen historically, both in number of hunters and days hunting. To really get a feel for how good or bad it was we look at avg. daily bag and we did see notably increases here that suggests we could have supported a much greater harvest with greater participation. This is really illustrated with quail that had avg. daily bags higher than in 2000 when the harvest estimate was over a million but due to participation being low the harvest estimate was around a 1/3 of that year. Hope this is informative.

Last edited:
The harvest estimates were less then we hoped for but participation was still lower then what we have seen historically, both in number of hunters and days hunting. To really get a feel for how good or bad it was we look at avg. daily bag and we did see notably increases here that suggests we could have supported a much greater harvest with greater participation. This is really illustrated with quail that had avg. daily bags higher than in 2000 when the harvest estimate was over a million but due to participation being low the harvest estimate was around a 1/3 of that that year. Hope this is informative.

Uh, oh, KDWPT is in the house. Please don't believe everything you hear from me here on the UPH. Well, you see, I am known to story just a wee bit. :)

Seriously, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. I have had a long term friendship with both the agency and the many men and women I have met over the years. Thanks for all you do and continue to do for the fish and wildlife of Kansas. :10sign:

The harvest estimates were less then we hoped for but participation was still lower then what we have seen historically, both in number of hunters and days hunting. To really get a feel for how good or bad it was we look at avg. daily bag and we did see notably increases here that suggests we could have supported a much greater harvest with greater participation. This is really illustrated with quail that had avg. daily bags higher than in 2000 when the harvest estimate was over a million but due to participation being low the harvest estimate was around a 1/3 of that that year. Hope this is informative.

Welcome to the forum. That's some very interesting information. Thanks.

Back