Kansas or Nebraska, why or why not?

Hunter1971

I'll be hunting the Colorado WIA's again this year, but I was thinking about getting a non-resident license to either Kansas or Nebraska to add to my list of places to hunt some Roosters. Either state would be new to me as I haven't been much further east than Holyoke, so I would just go with the flow and hopefully watch some great dog work and get a few extra shots. I'm also a solo hunter, it's just me and my Setter.

My question is which State would people recommend? Why? Or why not? Late season thoughts? Early season thoughts?

Let the opinions role, please?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

I have never been to Nebraska to hunt pheasants. I have only hunted Kansas, Colorado and a few other states. The drought has been devastating on crops, cover, especially in Kansas, however I have heard that the further north you go the better. There are spots I am sure, however the further south and west you go the worse it has been. Last year was tough in southwest Kansas and this year probably will not be any different.

If I had somewhere to go, I would be willing to try Nebraska one year. We are heading to South Dakota for the first time next month, so we are looking forward to that.

Good luck,
Greg

I have heard bad reports from Nebraska - Kimball and McCook areas.

Probably a toss up ... likely the case that KS or NE are in a similar situation.

Would not go to kansas...went out and scouted both public and walk in hunting...90% of the cover is gone due to grazing and haying....saw one bird in an area where we usually see fifty to sixty on our opening morning first walk..devastating to say the least...it was north central kansas...nothing but dirt as far as the eye can see...i would say that out of the thousand acre area we hunt there maybe be thirty acres to hunt left..maybe less..spend a few extra dollars and go to south dakota...just to watch ur dog work it would be worth it

We have all heard about the drought and how it has effected the hunting in Colorado, Nebraska, and Kansas but i have heard and read good reports about South Dakota, if i had to choose it would be So. Dakota. One thing to think about is cost, SD is $110 for 5 days (10 day tag but only a 3 bird per day limit with 15 in possesion) Kansas is about $73 for a calendar year with 4 birds per day and alot closer to drive (gas used) with Nebraska being about the same price with all year to use it and a 3 per day 12 limit, and closer then SD. I have hunted all but Nebraska and enjoyed both of them so pick one and hit it hard.

I have hunted both now. Nebraska this past weekend and Kansas last year. Nebraska actaully had a mess of birds, plus some bonus birds like PC, Sharpies, and Quail. However the folks there were not nearly as friendly as those in Kansas. Nebraska had signs that said stuff like don't even come up the driveway. Locals would walked all over us on public land (simply put they said because they were local) but we still managed birds and I imagine as the season goes along there will be less folks out. Plenty of birds in the swampier areas around the large reservoirs there, and almost no one hunts PC, or Sharpies. Just remember to bring your steel or non toxic shot if you go around the lakes.

Going back to Kansas for their opener and regardless of birds I am really looking forward to it. Heck we even did some door knocking opening morning and got on land (with a smile and a handshake). Only thing one farmer warned us against was shooting his Quail. Joined other groups in large fields to push the birds together so everyone had an oppurtunity. People at the gas stations pointed us to good fields too. Just an awesome experience, I'll spend my money in Kansas and Colorado where folks will treat me with an ounce of dignity and respect.

Have a Good 'Urn
bones

I think that if you know a local in NE then things might be better. Have a friend in North Platte who is a NE native. Many of the "locals" are friends, neighbors and relatives. I went there to train dogs with her two years ago and I was amazed by the amount of land that she had access too. I asked about some land adjacent to a SWA and she said "oh sure, the farmer there is fine with us running our dogs, shooting and hunting as long as there aren't cattle in the field or if he is haying. There are a lot of farmers in the area who let us hunt and train our dogs on their land." I guess it is who you know, and it doesn't hurt to be female and a grandma. :) I don't want to generalize too much but it does seem that NE as a whole is a bit less receptive to "outsiders" than other states. My friend in North Platte said that most of the areas that she normally hunts have been hayed or were used for cattle grazing over the summer due to the drought. Sounds like it is going to be tough all over the region this year.

Bad conditions aside, as long as I get the boys out and find a few birds, while getting out of cell phone range, it will be a good time. :cheers:

Also, if you don't want to drive all the way out to KS, NE or northeast Colorado, I am sure that Bob Porter at Strasburg Game Birds would be happy to help you out with a preserve hunt. We'll give it a go on the wild birds, but might be paying Mr. Porter a visit if there aren't any birds to be found.

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinions! I really do appreciate it. :thumbsup:

I'm kinda leaning towards Nebraska just cause it's closer to some of the areas in Colorado that I learned last year. But I don't know, I could flip anytime! :confused:

The reports seem to go both ways???? Some good, some not so good. I think the hardest part about the decision is just not knowing where to start in either state? But that's why they call it hunting and not shooting pheasants!

My Setter will love it either way! :thumbsup:

Nebraska

Just got home from a quick trip to the Ogallala and Sidney area. We found birds in small numbers but consistently. The dry warm conditions played a part as well. I think the habitat is in decent shape for the summer we had this year. We did not have a single empty walk in a day and a half of hunting. I am anxious to see what the Colorado areas I normally hunt look like in a couple weeks.

Back