Kansas Elk Season about over

M. R. Byrd

Well only a couple more weeks of Kansas elk season and it will be tag soup again. I am not surprised since I have not seen any elk at the Ponderosa for a couple years now. A few years ago my neighbors took some nice bulls. Every year, I call it my annual donation to Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourist, I get a tag just in case. Oh, how I would love to take a Kansas elk, but nothing yet.

Now it is time to look at the Colorado drawing. Time to study, dream and get the application in. It is an exciting time in anticipation of another year in elk camp.

IMG_1185_zps87acc699.jpg

Any other pheasant hunters headed to elk camp?

Elk hunting in February?

I echo the same question. I was thinking it closed in December sometime but maybe that was the Ft Riley season.

I know they are around but I have no idea on the season dates. Never seen one in KS. They are ugly anyways.

Still open. I am available to travel statewide to take one. My tag won't work in Unit 1(most of Morton County) or Unit 2(Ft Riley and some surrounding area), but the rest of the state is open to me.

State record, 354 5/8 largest typical, 376 0/8 largest non-typical.

Good luck with your elk hunt. Some landowners around post make the same donation in the hopes of a ft riley elk. I'm told they are very nocturnal, the ft riley herd anyway...

My biggest trouble, aside from actually finding one to shoot, would be loading it in the truck after it was dead. Some of those things have a body about like a horse! :eek:

Good luck with your elk hunt. Some landowners around post make the same donation in the hopes of a ft riley elk. I'm told they are very nocturnal, the ft riley herd anyway...

My biggest trouble, aside from actually finding one to shoot, would be loading it in the truck after it was dead. Some of those things have a body about like a horse! :eek:

Can I count on your help to load? A truck will be easier than packing it off a Colorado mountain. Plus, no bears to contend with. Last successful elk hunt in Colorado, my son and his buddy put down two bulls at 3PM in bear country and two miles from the Polaris. Made for a busy time.

If I were in Kansas I would gladly help you load your elk. I have quartered and hauled out every elk I have killed here in the mountains of Utah, the plains of Kansas would be a dream come true for hauling out an elk I would think. Let us know what you're seeing and if you are successful.

Can I count on your help to load? A truck will be easier than packing it off a Colorado mountain. Plus, no bears to contend with. Last successful elk hunt in Colorado, my son and his buddy put down two bulls at 3PM in bear country and two miles from the Polaris. Made for a busy time.

You bet I would help. I keep my knife razor sharp and I'm always hungry. :thumbsup:

Hey if you get an elk wandering across the ponderosa, you better watch out for bears too! Western Kansas is great, I can't blame the Colorado wildlife for wintering in sunny Dodge City! :laugh:

Some day I think it would be fun to hunt elk from muleback. It's an insane fantasy because I have almost no experience riding horses or mules, and I don't really trust them either. The whole appeal of a mule would be that it is slower and closer to the ground when I get dumped... :laugh: It just seems like one of those once-in-a-lifetime kind of experiences that a person should have.

Back