Kady's first time out...

I just took my 6 month old lab out for the first time and she did pretty well. Better than I expected to be honest, I had been workin with her 3-4 nights a week and was beginning to wonder about her. But when I took her out to a local game preserve she did wonderful, everything seemed to click for her! I took a few pics after with the days spoils so here they are...

Looking good. What preserve did you go to? I have been to Country Hunts up by Valley Falls quite a few times, and am planning on heading up there in a couple of weeks again to fine tune the dog a little.

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you and your partner are gonna have a great season. I'll be headed to your state around the 15th. Maybe I'll see you two there. Good luck and have fun and most of all, BE SAFE!:10sign:

Well Dping, I looked into Country Hunts in Valley but they were a little more expensive than Superior Game Farms. Its in Burlingame about another 20 minutes to drive but it was worth it, we paid for 10 birds but we were able to shoot anything we flushed which is a plus.

Thanks for the compliment rwigg and good luck to you too!

I got my 7 month old lab out for some doves early this season, been working him on some pigeions, Going to try and get some pheasants this weekend to work with him on so he has a good idea for South Dakota in two weeks! Its always an experience working with a new puppy:)

SignalOakLabs I agree with you working with a new pup is sure an experience! This is my first lab, my dad and grandpa raised shorthairs when I was growin up so I'm used to training them, but this flushing business is completely new to me and her! Do you have any tips?

I got my 7 month old lab out for some doves early this season, been working him on some pigeions, Going to try and get some pheasants this weekend to work with him on so he has a good idea for South Dakota in two weeks! Its always an experience working with a new puppy:)

It does depend on the dog but I would be real careful about taking a pup on a trip. The long ride lots of hunters dogs etc could be too much for a young dog. Best of luck to you this season and with your pup.

It does depend on the dog but I would be real careful about taking a pup on a trip. The long ride lots of hunters dogs etc could be too much for a young dog. Best of luck to you this season and with your pup.

Amen to that.
South Dakota with a 7 month old pup-yikes !:eek:

Amen to that.
South Dakota with a 7 month old pup-yikes !:eek:

X2. When it's just you and your dog, you can set up everything so it benefits the dog and teaches her how to hunt for you. When you take her into the middle of the war zone, you never quite know what will happen. A BAD hunt early in a dog's career can set back your training efforts big time.

I took my young pup (now an old dog) out on a pheasant hunt years ago with a big party thinking it would get him a lot of experience. Instead, it was a total nightmare. The pup had never shown sensitivity to gunfire before, but was very nervous when guns were going off from every direction. Especially because the CRP was very thick and he couldn't locate the source of the shooting. Then the pup went out to retrieve a bird that one of the other hunters in my party had shot. This guy was a real #######!:mad: He ran out to the pup and snatched away his bird, then scolded the pup for picking up "his" bird.:mad: Unfortunately, it was the pup's first ever retrieve on a wild rooster. Of course, the dog was completely scared and totally confused.

The dog just quit on the hunt right then and there. He walked at heel and showed no interest in finding birds. It took a couple weeks but I got him to start hunting for me again. It took me the rest of the season to get him back to where he was confident in the field. I didn't hunt with anybody else the rest of that season either. The next year I started inviting friends that I trusted to hunt over the dog with me and he finally started to blossom into a complete upland dog.:D

Anyway, just wanted to warn you that you could really set back your training if you push your dog into a situation she isn't ready for. If it was me, I would try to get her a lot more experience in a controlled environment before you put her into such a stressful situation. Just my 2 cents.

Toad, that 2 cents was worth a million dollars! :10sign:

I agree, I won't be taking my lab around anyone more than my dad and brother this year. I'm hopin to get her comfortable enough so that next year she'll be ok to go out with our whole group on opening weekend

I agree. Be careful with a young pup. You don't want to put them into a situation that will scar them for life.

Toad, that 2 cents was worth a million dollars! :10sign:

Thanks rwigg!:D Yeah, that's why I'm so rich...:laugh:with wisdom...:laugh::laugh: Hopefully that story will be helpful to somebody out there. That was a truly awful day. Too bad I had to learn my lesson the hard way.

Fortunately, everything worked out eventually. It was the dog in my Avatar, and now he's just as excited as I am about opening day.

nothing better than taking your young dog out and having it all click...pretty cool...I wouldn't be upland or waterfowl hunting if I didn't have dogs....been a retriever guy since 1992 but thinking of getting a pointing breed maybe next year...

Uplandr, I agree especially with a young dog. Keep the numbers down 2-3 hunters at most and 1-2 is really the best.......Bob

Back