Just wanted to share

Springer22

So I’ve been struggling on and off getting my springer to want to pick up a bird for awhile now. Shes always been interested but she’s kind of timid and lacks some confidence. I’ve had some serious doubts but stuck with it and kept coaxing and encouraging her. Though She loves the wing and lives to retrieve a bumper, always has since she was just a pup.

Well the other day I went to a game farm with some family and to get her some serious bird exposure. The first couple roosters she would mark them immediately just stand over them. Of course I just tried to get her pumped up and got her to pick up a rooster and let her just carry it around for a few minutes. Well few minutes later we were walking next to a pond and she flushed a rooster, I shot it over the water and folded it. Without hesitation my pup went after that thing and wouldn’t you know it brought it right back to me like she’s done it a thousand times. Her first ever bird retrieve was a water retrieve! I was beyond ecstatic. Next four birds she promptly retrieved each one. About as much fun I guy can have out hunting. And in front of my dad and brother to boot.

The dog is setting you up; just wait until you make a brag bet with a buddy about her retrieving when you're hunting.

:LOL:
Haha I know it, that is exactly what would happen too.

It’s actually funny, she will do anything to retrieve a bumper for me, but then the guy who did bird and gun with her and boards her sometimes threw one she acted like she didn't have a clue.

Last edited:
Back