just returned...final trip???? and a fashion tip!

benelli-banger

my buddy and I hunted Tue-Fri...days 1 and 2 were sunny, calm, and mid to upper 40's....days 3 and 4 were overcast and windy! sustained 30-40, gusting to 50. 30's on thur, 20's for temps on friday...overall, not bad! the shooting was sporty, for sure! my buddy killed 13, I got 11...can't speak for him, but I shot pretty well...most shots were fairly close, but I did miss 3 (could have been more, don't recall others)..the 2nd bird I missed was a one shot miss, I pulled off that bird to shoot at a closer flush...got him. The first miss was not a close shot, but killable...was kind of unstable footing when the bird flushed, but he was gettable...I did put pellets in him, he fluttered down about 100 yards away, and when my dogs got to that area, a hen flushed, leading them away from that spot...there was a good deal of scent in that area, and we never recovered the strong cripple. bird #'s weren't great, but there were a few cattail sloughs that held dozens and dozens...not quite a hundred in either, but half or 3/4 of that number most likely. There really has been no winter stress on the birds yet...could be a good sign, but still long periods of winter left. my buddy had a fit bit on...he said we walked about 10 miles a day, some more, some less...but that was about average. the windy days really take it out of a guy...interesting how that effects a person. I have found a great setup for hunting in the conditions we had over the past 2 trips in late Dec/January...a pair of nylon athletic pants ($12, walmart) tucked into my socks, then another pair of similar athletic pants that are a smooth nylon material ($17, walmart, "russell")...I slip into my muck boots, and the outer pair of pants go outside the muck boots...that smooth nylon doesn't collect any burrs or the like...overall, impervious to moisture, with the muck boots that go up to the knees....I haven't worn traditional "hunting pants" in a few seasons...most of my sharptail and hun hunting is done in the $12 athletic pants...comfy as heck, and they stretch! I wear those for early pheasant hunting as well, but one hunt took me into much burr country, and I had to just throw the pants away vs. trying to remove the burrs and such. No biggy, $12....best of all, when the hunt is over, you are ready for cocktail hour, either in the hunting camp or in a public establishment! very fashionable item...I like darker colors, they have a nice slimming effect for this 300 lb+ frame:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
shot my 12 gauge benelli ultra light (IC) with the Herter's 2 3/4" #5's at 1220 fps...killed one bird with my Ugartechea 16 gauge S X S with #4 lead...long shot, going away, finally fell--dead--at about 90 yards...he sailed a good 45 yards +/-.....that gun is skt1/skt2....like most of my doubles...oh, on the windy days, I wore a golf glove on my left hand, which is the one I carry my gun with...rarely wear glove on my shooting hand...probably have 5 times in the past 28 years....with lots of December days in those years...lose my touch with a glove. Keep the hand in a pocket....

I was in SD the same days as you, but got outta there when the weather turned.

Cattails sure had birds, but it was just me and the dogs and all the dumb roosters are dead.

Shot two roosters over the pup, so it was all gravy for me. The old dog did her thing and put me on the birds that sat. A wonderful way to end SD (not sure I'm mad enough to brave the polar vortex).

Attachments

• PXL_20210111_182648984.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    PXL_20210111_182648984.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20210110_210514025.MP_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    PXL_20210110_210514025.MP_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Back