Just got back...

2dogsandagun

from a 3 day pheasant hunt. First day (Mon) didn't arrive until later in the day and only hunted an hour. Saw a few birds and got 1. Second day hunted the same general area in the morning for about 2 hours and got 1 bird and again only saw a few so I decided to head on further west an hour or so then spend the rest of the day drive-by scouting WIHA's (looking at the cover etc.) to decide which one I would hunt the following morning. I only wanted to hunt the mid morning for a couple of hours to avoid deer hunters on the opener then drive back home. Found a nice WIHA with lots of CRP surrounded by harvested crop fields. I had never been there before and did not know what to expect but the area looked good. Had not walked 50 yards when an approx. 30 bird flush occurred. I thought, "okay I am in buisness" then proceeded to get serious. I kept seeing seeing a bunch of birds, both hens and roosters, many returning to the grasses from their morning feeding. As I continued on I would get the occasional wild flush of a bird or 2 out of range as well as some good points on the the tight holding birds . Temps were in the 20's to lower 30's and conditions a little dry for the dogs. Only hunted about and hour and wound up getting 2, but could have easliy got a limit if I would have hunted it longer. I hunted WIHA and public land only during the whole trip. There are still plenty of birds to be had if one just takes there time and burns some gas. Going back in January.

Last edited:
That's impossible..lol. Kidding of course after reading about kansas not having any birds and being so "disappointing".
I'm very happy to hear you saw good numbers of birds. Looking forward to getting out again next weekend, don't know exactly where yet. Radar.

Myself, son, and two more friends drove out to the SW quarter of the state on the 26th and came back this past Wednesday, the 1st. It was pretty dry and very windy.

We saw pretty good numbers of birds and while we didn't limit out every day we all had ample opportunity to miss more than we should have! A great time was had by all and my Springer pup got some fantastic wild bird experience.

We hunted both WIHA and private land I had hunted before. I might add that I did a little door knocking and helloing and was granted access on two of three attempts. The last call netted us access to more nice corn corners than we could properly hunt in the time available! I think that it just goes to prove there are still nice people in Kansas and the proper respect for the landowner and his land can improve your hunt opportunities with a little shoeleather and gasoline.

BobM

Bob,

Glad to hear you had a good trip. I agree about the nice people in KS. We were out over Thanksgiving (me, my dad and and one of my sons) and asked/received permission to hunt a nice field that yielded 3 pheasants.

I think smaller groups make it easier to get permission. Also, something about hunting with a kid that seems to soften up the landowners.

Nick,
I feel assured the "smaller group" does get more positive response and the "father/son" approach works even when your 61/32 years old.:D

Bottom line though is when you look a man in the eye and promise to respect his property like the precious thing it is, that is what makes the big difference IMHO. Obviously, actions have to follow words!

BobM

Excellent reports both of you! It warms my heart to hear of your success getting on private land and I hope that tradition continues in KS for as long as possible. Congratulations gents:cheers:

Excellent reports both of you! It warms my heart to hear of your success getting on private land and I hope that tradition continues in KS for as long as possible. Congratulations gents:cheers:

Ohhh you Kansas folks, there aint none better! I get chills reading stories of Father/Son hunts! We have one farmer that allows us to hunt his property, calls us almost everyday with new land for us to hunt. He is so nice, that he even calls his fellow neighbor farmers to get permission for us to hunt! It just don't get no better!!!!!!!!!:cheers:
Rod

I'm sure not unique to me, but something I like to do:
I try to get names, addresses, etc. from any new landowner contacts and the day after arriving home I send a nice thank-you letter to those people along with a pic of our hunt on their property.

They most likely won't forget my ugly mug but the name might fall through the cracks in time.....if you ever call back the time you have taken to write a real thank you note is usually remembered.
393836049.jpg

BobM

I try to get names, addresses, etc. from any new landowner contacts and the day after arriving home I send a nice thank-you letter to those people along with a pic of our hunt on their property.

They most likely won't forget my ugly mug but the name might fall through the cracks in time.....if you ever call back the time you have taken to write a real thank you note is usually remembered.
393836049.jpg

BobM

I too send them a thank you card after each hunt. Great idea about the pic. I am not able to pay, but always offer our time for any chores or help they need and I did take them some Buffalo burger this time!

Oh yeah, nice pic! Thanks for sharing! The one sitting down on the left is the best looking one of the bunch though! lol Just kidding! Once again, thanks for sharing the pic!
Rod

393836049.jpg

BobM

almost think I saw you-
nice picture

I had a father/wife/son stop in- handed me a bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies- "saw some pheasants down at that corner----

cookies were good

Chores come natural to me; grew up and still on the ol home place and cows, horses, and tractors are an everyday occurance.

Stopped and helped one cowboy drive a cow out of a greenfield- got 2 quarter sections of corn corners to hunt. Hauled a driver from the Hdqs. to his tractor about 4 miles away right after the landowner had given me permission to hunt a couple of ditches and got another section of prime land to investigate. Little work goes a LONG way.

Shadow, you may well have seen me. Was around Rolla 5 days and came home this past Wed.

BobM

Back