Just Babies!!

KBell

Traveled down to the Gilbert area today as I always do third week of the season. Public area I hunted had some corn recently picked-earlier this week.

A combination of strong wind from the west and indications of previous hunting in this piece had the birds---a tad jumpy!!:D

Working the wind Sophie and I first put a hen up. Next we encountered a spike buck and he hesitated prior to escaping west. Of course as he did he put two additional hens and a rooster to air that flew to the picked corn field.

Pressing on I notice a large amount of grasshoppers at my feet. They are everywhere I thought--how have they made it through these recent overnight temps?:eek:

Next point yields a double rooster flush and I drop them both. I notice them to be very young birds. Several birds flushed around us at the shots--pattern for the day. Our final point yields a hen and rooster flush. I drop the rooster.

You can see from the photos that these are the youngest birds I have harvested to date. Strong winds (40+ mph) forecasted for the rest of the week. Totals for day--9 roosters, 15 hens only 7 of which held for the point.

Last edited:
Hey Madison,

An afternoon hunt at 1:30. Gilbert is a bit of a drive for me but enjoy the public land and a few private spots there. Corn harvest is in full swing. Great time to catch these "never hunted" birds. Wondering if I will see any younger than this this year. I place these birds with a hatch date of around August 15th. That is very late for wild hatch birds IMO.

Back