Jack rabbit numbers and locations?

cuda67bnl

Can anyone comment on the jackrabbit and bunny populations this year? I'm hoping to get out that way next month and chase some with my hawks. I've hunted from Liberal to Garden City a few times in the past. Willing to go just about anywhere that has good jack numbers. Thanks.

Pretty good numbers of cottontails in southwest (dodge city general area)- never saw a single jack on opener. Good luck!

We too did not see any jacks last weekend in SW Kansas. Normally see a ton of them, not sure what the deal is??? Last year we had a falcon guy from Minnesota come out with his Golden Eagle to chase jacks around and ended up getting into quite a few of them. He normally hunts SW Kansas, this year I don't think it'd be worth it.

Last year we had a falcon guy from Minnesota come out with his Golden Eagle to chase jacks around and ended up getting into quite a few of them. He normally hunts SW Kansas, this year I don't think it'd be worth it.

That would be Chase. I think he left SW Kansas yesterday saying pickings were so slim, he was limiting himself to one jack a day.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like numbers are low. I have some friends that are out near Witchata now, and they're seeing a bunch of cottontails, but no jacks. Reports Ive heard from the SW indicate numbers are really low. Some more friends are headed that way tomorrow, and I suspect they'll confirm that. Lots of bunnies would be fine since they're rare here, but really wanting to chase jacks. Maybe I'll head to west Texas/New Mexico.....

Did you go to the KFA meet last weekend? I was there Friday through breakfast on Saturday, and bailed after breakfast due to the wind and people not planning to fly. Lots of "rabbity-looking" cover, but not many hawks at the event compared to the long-wings.

In Eldorado? Nope. A couple friends made the drive out there, but they're flying long wings. Or trying to. They've been whining about the wind too. Said they're seeing a bunch of bunnies, quail, phez, and chickens.

I saw tons of Jacks on recent trip thru Texas between Amarillo and Dumas.

Thanks for the tip. I hunted Amarillo back in '08 and jack numbers were pretty good then. Getting permission was tough though, as we struggled to contact land owners. Lots of hobos out there too. We'd be walking fields, and hobos were popping up like jacks...lol

Saw about 8 Cottontails and 2 Jacks in 5 days of hunting good stuff. And that is hunting almost all day long in North Central Kansas

Thanks. I think I'm probably gonna try west Texas and slightly into New Mexico. Everything I'm hearing says that Kansas is definitely on the downside slope of the rabbit cycle right now.

Back